1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can someone identify my hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by samsr, Sep 18, 2012.

1. samsr

samsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    When I initially got my hens, I was told that she was a leg horn, however as she ages and the other leghorn ages. They are definately not the same size. The leghorn is much taller than her(moose). Can someone identify her for me please. It looks like she is a mix of maybe a couple of different breeds.
    [​IMG]

2. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Does she lay white eggs?

3. samsr

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    She lays light brown eggs. She just started laying two days ago. Her first was 27 grams. she is quite sweet.

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    I'm leaning towards a mix, got anymore pics of her? Standing etc.....

5. samsr

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    I dont have any good ones at this time but can get some more tomorrow. She moves too fast. She does have brown legs that are clean and ears that are a light creamish color. I forgot to mention that in my initial post. She laid a soft shell egg this afternoon.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Perhaps a splash orpington...mix?

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
  8. samsr

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    I think you are correct. she looks like a California White according to the pictures, or at least other than the brown legs she has. She seems to be the only one that gets along with the cochin also. Either way she is a good hen with a good disposition and is starting to lay so she is a keeper in my book. I was more courious than anything. She sure is small compared to the white leghorn. Thanks for the posts.

9. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    If this hen is smaller than your Leghorn I think your Leghorn is a White Rock or something else What color earlobes the Leghorn has?

10. samsr

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    Her earlobes are red in the front then towards the back they turn white. She is a tall hen. legs are clean and orange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by