Can someone identify this breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littleloveblue, Jun 17, 2011.

1. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    I am new to chicken ownership:) I ordered three different breeds (8 chicks total) with several other friends from a hatchery. I was suppose to receive 3 Buff Orpingtons. One of the chicks had slightly different wing color but otherwise they looked exactly the same... untill a few weeks ago (they are almost 7 weeks old now). Suddenly I realized the different one was definitely a Buff, but the other two look really different. Here is a photo to help...

[​IMG]

That is Eliza (the other has the same coloring). She has even gotten a little more brown all over since I took this. She has browns, whites and even darker black looking feathers in her tail. She also has legs that are more yellow. I looked online but couldn't figure out what she might be.

Here is a picture of her next to Goldie our Buff...

[​IMG]

Thanks!!

Cary

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    some of my buffs have lighter buff than others and some are darker. yours appear to have some gray or black? can you get a better pic of the tush? perhaps there's some impure breeding producing the blackish stuff.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's coloring up like many New Hampshires--they change from yellow chicks to what you see in your pic to pretty chestnut color or, in hatchery stock, more orangey color. Time will tell, though.

4. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    here are some more photos from today. it's cloudy today so these are more true to color i think. maybe she is a buff? i really have no idea, she just doesn't look like the photos online (neither does her sister Teeny, who is my runt and still feathering out:) she is very sweet though and it doesn't really matter to me... it just makes me very curious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess when she is full grown it will be easier to tell. Thanks!

Cary

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At this moment, I'm going to say New Hampshire. Have had some of those, both hatchery stock and breeder stock. They have those white tips on the feathers till they molt out the juvvie feathers and they become darker in color. Also, the dark in the tail is a characteristic of the NH, which is why I say she is not a red sex link.

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Golden Commet maybe? Super soft looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by