Can someone identify this prehistoric garden flora that has made its home in my yard?

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
There’s a monster in my yard. And it’s not my Orpington.
No. This creature is vicious and unfamiliar. It is scaling the wire walls of our garden with ruthless purpose. I don’t know what it wants, or why it’s here, but maybe you people can help me find out what it is.
image.jpg

It seems to be in the squash or melon family. I planted pickling cucumbers in this bed. They were crushed and brutally killed by the demanding monster that took over the bed. One still survives, and it is cowering in the closest corner of the bed us in the photo.
I know this hulking beast is too large for the bed. But this is not my fault! I only planted small cucumbers. Not THIS. It’s possible I got my seeds mixed up, but I haven’t planted watermelon or pumpkin in years, and I don’t even believe this is a cucumber. It’s a plant out of a Jurassic park scene.
Help me before it devours everything I love!

It looks like a zucchini or squash, I have 1 in my garden and it’s taking over, I put a tomato cage around it and I stuff the leaves inside as it grows.

When I opened the thread I thought you were making a joke about how big your zucchini was getting haha.

on a related but OT note, I planted pickling cucumbers as well and they died at like 3 inches tall, (everything else is huge and flourishing so maybe some seed supplier sent out a bad batch of seeds or something) I went to Home Depot and I bought the zucchini and 2 snap peas to put in the place the cucumbers had been, and mine also looks like a Jurassic plant now.

I agree...some sort of squash. Last summer I had a whole pumpkin patch near the run that I didn't plant but I'm sure the squirrels did! A neighbor or two feed them so I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Anyway, the grand-kids had 17 pumpkins for Halloween.
I have to put my pumpkins in the window because the squirrels are on them before the front door has closed lol, they also stole the corn from the corn stalks my son grew from popcorn for a kindergarten project, climbed the fence and sat on my neighbors swing set, staring me down as they munched away on them. I wonder if there’s a corn and pumpkin patch somewhere out in the woods behind my house, courtesy of the squirrels.

Back
Top Bottom