Can someone look at this feed for me?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DukesAngel, Jun 30, 2010.

1. DukesAngel

DukesAngel In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have a mixed ages flock; namely 7.5 weeks and 13 weeks. I am looking for a feed to switch them to in about 3 weeks so that they can all be on the same feed as the older ones get ready to lay. I am on an auto-delivery from my feed store and am not wanting to change that since it means I don't have to go to the feed stores [​IMG] They sell Formax feeds which are produced here in KY and I feel better about that somehow. Anywho, this is the feed I'm looking at:

http://www.formaxfeeds.com/specialty/gamebird_gc18.html

or

http://www.formaxfeeds.com/specialty/gamebird_gc16.html

I've read here I think that gamebird feeds are ok to feed to chickens, but I want to see what you guys would feed. I want my girls to be happy! I will be offering free choice oyster shell to the older ones by their perches.

2. DukesAngel

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    anyone?

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sorry , maybe some one else will be able to help [bump]. Good luck

4. woodward farms

woodward farms Songster

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    Layer Ration Crumble 20%
    is what you need to switch to if your birds are going to start laying.
    with the younger birds you should keep it at 20 % protien
    as all birds statr to lay you can then switch to 16 % protien
    when the weather gets cool below 45-50 F then swtich back to 20%

this is just my thinking

5. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Personally, I keep my layers on a 19% all year round, mixed with corn and oats. Of course they are free range and get all kinds of goodies from the house and garden. The only thing that I change in the winter is that I have more whole corn available to them. It gets mighty cold and blustery up here and in the last 5 years that I have had chickens, I have never lost one in the winter, and their laying does not drop at any time (unless I have a bunch of newbies or some go broody. I have 24 laying hens and get an average of 20 eggs a day.

6. DukesAngel

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Not all the birds will be laying at the same time. I will have 6 birds that are 7 weeks younger than the older ones. This is my concern with the feed and why I'm looking at gamebird feeds. I just don't know which one to get. I have read layer feed is not good for young birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: