Can someone offer an opinion please. Cochin/Andelusion mix chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mickielee, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mickielee

mickielee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Battle Ground, Wa.
    ok.. I could only get one picture but I have two of these chickens. They are the only two like this that I have, the others that are the same age are Turkens so they look way different. This chicken is supposedly a pullet. It is almost 3 months old. It is an Andelusion/Cochin mix.
    Both my chickens like this one spend most of their day staring at each other and sparing each other. Do you think that this chicken is a
    male or female?[​IMG]

2. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    This does look like a pullet to me. She's very pretty. I don't see any super shiny neck hackle feathers, or shiny, thin, spiky saddle feathers in front of the tail, so my vote is pullet.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    At 12 weeks that's a cockerel.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb and feathering make me think "she" is a cockerel. But I don't see any pointed hackle/saddle feathers yet... I'm still going to guess cockerel for now.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd guess cockerel, based off of comb and wattle development and slow feathering.

6. mickielee

mickielee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Battle Ground, Wa.
    Bummer. I was hoping that she really was a she. Are there better pictures that I can take to make sure?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel. Even with the Andalusian blood, a pullet won't have that much comb this early.
    Cochins are a slower to mature breed, so that's why you're not seeing sex feathers yet--it's at the early end of the spectrum for any bird, besides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by