can someone please advise me!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emandden, Nov 28, 2013.

1. emandden

emandden Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    hi i found this in my chicken coop earlier and im worried!!!can anyone help me?
    [​IMG]

its got a texture like latex......also 2 of my 3 chickens have not laid today

2. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure what it is; however I have had a barred rock hen that has laid several eggs without shells, with that latex texture. I hope everything is ok with your hens though.
    Dan

3. emandden

Nov 28, 2013
    thank you,im terrified......only had my ladies for 3 months and absolutely love them.......they sleep in one area and lay only in another area.....this was found in their sleeping part and only had 1 egg today which is odd

4. emandden

Nov 28, 2013
    just looked again and theres a tiny amount of yolk and white where i found this!

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    It appears to be the shell of a soft-shelled egg. I would imagine that your girls ate most of the yolk and white. I'm betting the soft-shell egg burst and it would be natural for a bird to eat the remains so as to not attract predators.

This occurs from time to time with pullets or girls coming back into lay after a molt. Offer them some oyster shell [my girls won't touch the stuff] or crushed egg shells and make sure they're getting layer pellets so that they're getting enough calcium in their diets.

It doesn't always mean someone is sick but keep an eye on them and see how things progress. Hopefully she'll be back to hard-shelled eggs in no time!

6. emandden

Nov 28, 2013
    ok thats a relief!! i give them layers pellets and oystershell.....just made mad dash to buy vitamins etc for them and crushed some eggshell into their food so fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by