Can someone please answer asap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crystalchic, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    My hen is finally broody. I have eggs in my incubator that are at different stages.
    I was wondering if I took them from my incubator and put them under my hen if there would be a problem. I put some eggs in my bator yesterday and i really would rather my hen set on them
    What should I do

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I was wondering if I took them from my incubator and put them under my hen if there would be a problem.

I'm not much help, but maybe you could do a "Search" on BYC. I've read that people have done it before, but I haven't so I wouldn't want to give advice.​

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I wouldn't do that to the bird...what will happen is chicks will start hatching and sh emight abandon the others to begin taking care of the chicks...you could leave her on a few eggs but begin collecting and get a larger number then replace the ones she is sitting on with the new batch and then you would have a larger group hatching at one point. Staggered hatches are hard enough without confussing the poor chicken

4. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    My hen is finally broody. I have rooster in my incubator that are at different stages.
    I was wondering if I took them from my incubator and put them under my hen if there would be a problem. I put some rooster in my bator yesterday and i really would rather my hen set on them
    What should I do

I have eggs in my incubator, not rooster. LOL Gosh I guess that i shouldn't talk on the phone while leaving a post. Sorry. No more multitasking for me

5. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    if you just put them in yesterday you could try it. but it may mess with the hatch. the ones that have been in your bator for awhile i would leave in.

6. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    Oh thank God! I totally thought that i really am a ditzy blond. Now that I know that I am just a blond I can sleep at night better.

7. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    You can put whatever E Ggs under you hen that you want, but I would not stagger more than 2 days for hatching time, so If you want her to hatch the ones in the Bator stick those under her, but remember after 2to 3 days she will stop sitting on the E ggs, and start raising babies, thus if the hatch dates are too spread out you may loose the later eg gs, when thier temps drop.

8. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I have rooster in my incubator, not rooster. LOL Gosh I guess that i shouldn't talk on the phone while leaving a post. Sorry. No more multitasking for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    yes put some under your hen, but avoid a staggered hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by