1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone please answer by brooder questions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiwiegg, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hi! We have 16 Gold Star chicks arriving at our feed store next Thursday. I have feeder, food, waterer, the powder stuff for the water, pine shavings and a heat lamp. I have almost finished my coop (can't work out how to get pics on byc...super annoying) and will start the run this weekend. I'm sure this is chix101 but I want to make sure I am ready for the babies on Thursday. I am building a brooder out of leftover untreated plywood from coop build. Please give me your opinion on how big I should make this thing (area needed for chix and height) Also, is there a certain timeframe they need to be in there? In town today I had 2 completely different answers for that one. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Alihbaloch

Alihbaloch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    hey there welcome to byc!!
    and congrats on your chicks YOU GOT TO PUT PICS UP OF YOUR CHICKS!! LOL
    you can make a account a photobucket its free and then paste the url in the upload a photo area( format and stuff bar)..
    chicks are really small so you dont need a big place since they gonna cuddle all together to stay warm for first couple weeks.
    so for first 5 weeks you can make somewhere around 4 feet by 4 feet and 3 feet high should be deffff good.
    if you need any help just get back! and dont put powder stuff every day!
    give them first 2 days and then every other day for a week and keep reducing it ..
    temp should be 95 at start and drop 5 degrees evert week! once again welcome

3. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the reply and the dimensions! Is 5 weeks standard time before they get to go in coop/run? Roughly what % of their adult body weight are they by then do u think? Thanks again!
    Great suggestion for photobucket too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
    not a problem just dont forget to pics UPPPP!!
    since hard winter is already over but i know it still cold.
    i moved my 4 weeks old outside 3 weeks ago and they were fine,i did gave em save-a-chick powder from TSC. once a week
    you can move your chicks out once they are all feathered out.
    they shuold be fine

5. goldchicks

goldchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    What is save-a-chick powder? I read someone said to have a draft free place outside is this true? I have a very open temporary home for my chicks, is this bad? I am extremely new to this! :)

6. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
    you can get it from tractor supply. its like a protein powder you put in water.
    you dont wanna leave chicks alone outside open, they might end up as a dinner for a hawk or coons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by