Can someone please answer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crystalchic, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I need your assistance regarding a very confusing problem and I think that this applies to many members who come here for advice. My last several incubation's have gone very wrong. I've used three or four different incubators, the most recent is a Genesis and still get problems.

I am attempting to hatch eggs from different sources, including my own hens and hens acquired via Ebay and eggbid. For the most part, I have consistent temperatures (especially with the Genesis) and I am working hard to keep the humidity properly regulated.

However, my chicken eggs are developing during the 21 day gestation period. On or around day 21 most chicks (about 60%) are dying just after they have pipped into the air sac. Several (about 30%) die between days 15 and 19. One hatched, wobbled and struggled for a short time and died several hours later. The healthiest one hatched (with assistance from me) with its brain sitting exposed outside of its head. This chick ran around the bator for more than a day leaving me to have to have it culled. On those eggs that died before zipping, I performed my own mini-autopsy and found a perfectly formed chick dead, with the yolk sac fully absorbed.

About 10 days ago my husband, who is an attorney, suggested that it could be related to smoking or radiation/EMF's from the big screen television that sits right next to the bator. We stopped the smoking anywhere near the bator. But, over the last couple days I again was experiencing the same hatching problems. I had been posting in the forum regarding whether anyone could help and in chat I have raised the issue but never discussed whether the tv could be causing a problem

Last night my husband again insisted that it was the TV. (Also, our cable modem and wireless router surround the bator). In chat, most were skeptical of this idea. My husband, who often has to research complicated medical issues immediately found several studies that showed that EMFs and low level radiation from VDT's (video display terminals) increased hatching mortality between 50 to 70%. He is 100% certain that's our problem. I have attached some links to these studies but the main study requires registration and then paying for the study. My husband doesn't think it's necessary to get the full articles because they are just medical and laboratory mumbo-jumbo, it's the results and conclusion that's important.

I am sending this to you because this has been really hard for me and I know that many others in BYC are having problem hatches. They may be experiencing the same problem. I have very rare birds and spend a of money on my eggs and I am hoping that you can give your opinion and maybe help me and many other members who are similarly situtated. Can you tell me what you think? Here are the links:

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr … tNr=224157

here's one on cell phones which references the article about televisions. http://www.indmedica.com/journals.php?j … on=article

Here's another article that confirms the effects of the radiation. http://www.emf-bioshield.com/monashfr1.html
    Thank
    You

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Interesting.

3. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    This is an interesting issue. It would be interesting to see what other people say. I think we so often take for granted what technology has brought us, but not what it could also be doing to us....no in the mind area, but rather what is it putting into our air and systems. I usually avoid thinking about these things because I guess there is an aspect of wanting to insist that I wouldn't bring something bad into my own house.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry you are having trouble...that's frustrating and sad, for sure. [​IMG]

I am one who disagrees with helping...I think a very good example of why is the one you stated. The chick may not have hatched without help from you, but with a brain outside the skull, it would not have survived, and that's surely the reason it would not have hatched.

I am wondering about the smoke issue. I've spoken with a few folks who are very seasoned hatchers, and have gotten feedback that they have received hatching eggs via USPS that smelled of smoke and the hatches were not good. I recently had a GOOD hatch of eggs that smelled of smoke, but they were not that strongly smelling, I let them set 24 hours before putting in the bator, and no one smokes in my home.

I think you're right to question what you are questioning....I'm glad you put this post out, because surely others will have good feedback regarding whether or not they have had good/bad hatches in similar circumstances.

I'm also happy to hear you're not giving up! I wish you the VERY best of luck!

5. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Couldn't you just move the bator to a "clean" environment and try again?

If you have a substantial improvement in your hatching ratio, that should tell you it was the problem.

Just wondering.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would suggest doing your own study. Try moving the bator to an area in the house that does not have this type of equipment. See if your results change on your own eggs. That would be a good indicator if this is causing your problems.

I will note the I have numerous televisions, wireless pc's, router, etc and do not have any issues with my hatches. However, my incubators are in a spare bedroom with doors shut so they are not in the same room or very close proximity.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You need to talk to a ham radio operator. They have the training to field your questions.

Fact: Radio waves have very bad effects on the liquid parts of a living body.

Do not put anything that puts off a radio wave close to egg. Also do not put anything that puts off radio waves close to your head. Exposing your eyes to intense (high power or close low power) radio waves will make you go blind.

8. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    Couldn't you just move the bator to a "clean" environment and try again?

If you have a substantial improvement in your hatching ratio, that should tell you it was the problem.

Just wondering.

We moved the bators, and for your information my environment is for sure clean. We live in a 4000 square foot home with great ventilation. I brought up everything that i could think of that could try to help me figure out what the heck is going on with my recent hatches. I am so glad that i am not sarcastic to someone that needs help.
    If you don't have something helpful or nice to say maybe you shouldn't say anything at all

9. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    You need to talk to a ham radio operator. They have the training to field your questions.

Fact: Radio waves have very bad effects on the liquid parts of a living body.

Do not put anything that puts off a radio wave close to egg. Also do not put anything that puts off radio waves close to your head. Exposing your eyes to intense (high power or close low power) radio waves will make you go blind.

Now this is someone who can answer or try to answer a question in the best interest of the asking party

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm sorry, but I think you took that comment the wrong way. They didn't mean that the area is unclean, as in dirty. What they meant was "clean"....free from the problems that you suspect...no smoke, no TV, or anything else that might cause problems. A rarely-used extra room would be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by