Can someone please double check my info for my first hatch

SimplySplendidSilkies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Adairsville, GA
So I copied and pasted below the info from the sheet I printed up and have laying beside my Hoba-Bator 1602N wth a fan kit and auto turner. If any of my information is incorrect or if you have tips for my first hatch I will add or change as needed. I got the bator today and it is set up and running I have the humidity at 63% and the temp I am still adjusting but have been steady at 97 waiting for the last adjustment to take effect now (making adjustments about 30 mins or so), maybe I will hit 99.5 before the nights end. My eggs from cjexotics should ship next month so I still have lots of time to figure everything out. I am just trying to be prepared the best I can.
Thanks for your time and help
Tisha

Hatching eggs

21 days for chickens 28 days for guineas
Temperature, 99.5 for Fan Forced incubator,
Humidity, 60-65% for the first 18 days, 80-85% for the last 3 days
Turn and add water to center reservoir only a few days prior to placing eggs in the incubator and make all adjustments. Allow eggs to rest and come back to room temperature 12 to 24 hours after they are shipped, place eggs in auto turner with pointy end down.
You may candle as early as 3 days.
You may see a spike in temp around 10 or 11 days due to chicks developing and may have to adjust temp down (up to 1 full turn for the 1602N Hova-Bator)

But remember, if your eggs reach the temperature of 105 kiss them good bye, at this temp it will kill the chicks.
Use a wet sponge in the incubator if humidity being too low is a problem. If humidity is too high cover part of water reservoir with aluminum foil and tape it down.
STOP turning eggs on day 18 and place on the incubator rack with pointy end lower. Fill both water reservoirs at this point and raise humidity up to 80 or 85%. DO NOT OPEN after lockdown, not for any reason. The chicks that hatched can wait up to 3 days without food or water, while the others hatch.
Once the hatch is done put chicks in a brooder with a temp of 95 to 100.
Eggs should lose 13% of weight during hatch if weighing during hatch.

I am hatching silkies if that makes a diffrence. And I just checked the bator temp is at 99.8
ya.gif
I may actually pull this off. It took me less than 4 hours to get the fan installed and temp and humidity right where I was trying to get it. I will just see if things hold steady.

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that humidity was crazy! Mine are at 67% right now and 3 are pipped, I read if the humidity is too high they'll pip and drown. I had to adjust my thermostat after I removed 2 dozen bad guinea eggs
sickbyc.gif
and after I put more water in on day 18 since my temp dropped from having to warm the water (yes I added WARM water) but it has to keep it warm, its at around 100 degrees now. Best to be above temp than below, but besides that after you get them temp right it shouldn't need adjusting.

Yeah... I'd open a plug up... that humidity is way too high... not a biggie if you correct it... just drop it down.

hey stanglover.... you are just up the road (about a hours drive up) from me

Thanks guys I have been reading so much I am sure I found the humidity level on an incubator website though, I will make proper adjustments to my sheet to say 40% days 1-18 and 65 %to 70% for hatch.
Rebelcowboynb the sheet that came with my incubator said I might have to adjust the temp down to adjust for the developing chicks body heat. Since it is my first hatch I was palnning on watching it very close anyway. I do not have eggs in there yet, they will be shipped next month. I am just getting ready.

Letisha....

when the temp goes up a bit.... the water is out... DON'T adjust the thermostat without checking water level first. Big new hatcher mistake.

Letisha, WOW, you are really preparing! I won an auction for eggs I didn't expect to win, for my very first hatching experience. I had the incubator out and set up but not plugged in until the eggs arrived. I unpacked them to let them rest, then turned on the 'bator for its warm up testing period, and the following night I put the eggs in the 'bator.

You're planning for something next month! I'm impressed.

I have two sets of shipped eggs sitting out "resting" right now, and have just turned on the two incubators for 'em (after cleaning and sterilizing them). I'll set the eggs in 'em tomorrow.

I really take this serious, their lives are in my hands so I best do my job or leave the hatching to the hens. I also do not like surprises! I DO NOT like surprises! Unless of course it is hatching 24 out to 24 eggs and at least one is a Showgirl. I just want to be prepared.
idunno.gif
I was already told that I will most likely not get showgirls as I opted out of the partridge and white eggs, which are the only 2 pens with showgirls. But I have made arrangments for a blue showgirl to be shipped here, also in Oct. So October will be a big month for me. I can hardly wait. Counting the days! So about 5 weeks till I have hatching eggs hopefully!
Thanks again everyone for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom