Can someone please help figure out what sex this turkeys are????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chickadee29, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Chickadee29

Chickadee29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Florida
    I have two turkeys and I believe one is a male and the other is a female. I have had them since buying them at two days old and they are the same age but they are different sizes. The one I have seen strut and the other hasn't done anything like that but they both have beards. I have alot of people tell me they are both boys but I think they are wrong. Please help

I think this one is a boy
    [​IMG]

I think this one is a girl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I am not an expert and would love to be proved wrong BUT I think they are both males.

---and that other thing is a pygmy goat's butt [​IMG] (that, I AM an expert on)

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Top one is a tom and the middle and bottom photos are of a hen. She has the tell- tale white edged breast/chest feathers.

4. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    yep, you have a tom and a hen !! [​IMG] [​IMG] the way you can tell is the tom has the big long thing on his head that will striech when you pull it, and the hen can not and is smaller than the tom!! Good luck !! [​IMG]

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    why did I think the white-edged lady feathers were on the back? But I ca't hardly argue with someone named Turkaholic lol [​IMG]

6. Chickadee29

Chickadee29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Florida
    That is what I thought but some of my family keeps telling me that it both males. I had my hubby convinced that it was a female but when he found a beard growing on it he was like no it is both males. I still thought it was a female because I read somewhere on on line that a female can have one to. I love my turkeys they follow me when I am in the pen with them. How old do they have to be to start laying eggs? Yeah that is a pygmy goats butt.

7. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:28 to 30 weeks and on. It depenes on how much light they have. they need 14 to 16 hours of light a day to start laying.

8. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Our female turkey has a small beard as well. And we know she's a female because she's laying eggs!! I'm no expert but they look like a male and a female to me too.

9. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    Im not an expert on Turkeys especially the domestic ones, but in the wild every once in a while you will find a hen turkey with a beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by