Can someone please help me determine a breed here, or two? UPDATE... Now with WAY better pictures!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IdasChickens, Aug 22, 2014.

1. IdasChickens

IdasChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks everyone! Hope you are all well [​IMG]

I just received an order from Ideal; the rare special assortment.

I received mostly dark chicks...all about the same markings, although, a few seem a little darker (less yellow) and at least one, has a yellow kinda poofy head (on the right in the first pic.)

At least one of the yellow ones has feathered legs and toes. The others, it is hard to tell if the legs are feathered or not.

Here are the pics. Sorry, it is night and all I have is my phone camera...no good lighting in the barn.

All together, we have three buff ones and seven of the darker ones. All supposed to be pullets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

My guesses; (just so you all know I gave a little effort...) The buffs could be white cochins or orpingtons, I think. They seem to be a more "common rare breed", and I think Ideal has those types available currently.

I have a feeling that most of the rest are either Dominique, Black Copper Marans, or maybe a few White Crested Polish? I really have no idea...

Again, sorry about these terrible pics. It's the first night, so, I'm just really excited. I'll be getting more pics tomorrow...hopefully much clearer and more helpful.

Still, y'alls guess is probably better than mine!

[​IMG] Thanks again!

Ida

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't help much, but to say the black birds with white spots on the head are some type of barred/cuckoo bird. I'm not familiar with what Ideal considers "rare" but the top contenders are cuckoo Marans and Dominiques, if they have clean legs. You should be able to tell by comb and leg color. Marans have white/pink skin and straight combs, Dominiques have yellow skin and rose combs.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To be sure, we really need individual pictures of each type of bird, without red lighting. But, Donrae has given you good advice so far.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. IdasChickens

Jul 26, 2013
    Thank you! I really appreciate the help! You have given me a place to start. I know my pictures are the worst of the worst, but I'm not home at the moment...so I can't take better pictures. [​IMG]

Thanks again, Donrae. I will update with more clear pictures when I get them.

Ida

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Can't wait to see them when they get older!

7. IdasChickens

Jul 26, 2013
    I will definitely post! I'm pretty sure that I have at least one Salmon Faverolles! Feather legs, big (well little) beard, and solid buff colored.

The other buff ones...either no beards, or the beards are a lot smaller. And no feathered feet on those ones...[​IMG]

The rest I'm also pretty sure are as Donrae said, either Marans or Dominiques, or maybe a mix of both! I haven't been home yet to see them closely but as soon as I do, I am going to check out comb types and skin colors.

I'll keep everyone posted so they can see what we got...[​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

Ida

8. IdasChickens

Jul 26, 2013
    Finally an update!

Second Update 8/26: Well, I am a goof! I was going through the garage and came across the shipping box. I pulled out the receipt before I threw it out, opened it up...and there was a list of the breeds!
    Here's what they are: Salmon Faverolle, Buff Rock, Black Jersey Giant, Dominique, Maran (didn't state which kind.)
    Still haven't figured out what breed is what amongst the darker ones..but I'll figure it out as they grow....
    Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

1. One of these. All buff and reddish. Clean legs. Straight comb? (Sorry not a good pick of the comb...it is almost invisible, if that helps.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Two of these. Feather legs. Beards? I think, Salmon Faverolles?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3.Okay, so the rest could all be the same breed...but I don't know. I tried my best to separate as best I could,,,,

This one, has sort of a shorter down than the rest. The legs are clean and multicolored pink and slate. The wings of these types are black with white tips or where the flight feathers will be. White dots on head. This ONE has a much lighter, almost white underbelly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4. I have some of these...probably the same type as above. Some like this have much more pronounced yellow facial markings. Wing markings are similar to the chick above. Marking on head are more yellow and not as pronounced.
    [​IMG]
    A better view of their little wing....

[​IMG]
    5. This little girl is much darker than the rest as you can see. Completely black wings and slate colored legs. Not really a dot on head (maybe?) (She has really bad pasty butt right now too...if any one has any tips, I'll take em. Thanks!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6.Lastly...This one looks almost exactly like the rest of the darker ones, except the wings are different, they are barred. None of the black/grayish ones have feathered legs, far as I can tell. And her down seems a little longer than the rest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, whatever they are, I love them.

And I am super grateful for the help!
    Thanks Again!
    Ida

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by