Can someone please help me determine the gender of my chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hat Lady, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hat Lady

Hat Lady New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    When our 6 chicks were very young, I thought it would be easy to spot the roos from the hens. Now that they are just over 9 weeks old, I'm more confused than ever. We are certain that one of our barred rocks is a roo, as he started crowing this morning. (He's the barred rock in the 3rd picture.) The black Australorp starting making pre-crowing sounds today. S/he is in the background of the last picture.

I'd like feedback from this group as to the genders of the other 5 chickens. We have a black australorp, 2 BR, and 3 RIR's. An experienced chicken-grower friend told me about a month ago that she thought we only had one rooster. Now that they're much more mature, almost all of them are looking like roosters to me! Where we live, we're not supposed to have chickens. I spoke with our neighbors before getting them and they were all ok with it, as long as we got rid of any roosters. I'm planning on driving down to my friend's chicken farm to drop off the rooster, but I would like to bring all of the roosters that we have, because it's a 2 hour drive each way.

I need help to determine the roos from the hens. If you need more pictures, please let me know.

Thanks bunches,
    Hat Lady in Hotlanta, GA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Looks like all three RIR's are roos, but wait for a different answer because I don't really know.....

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    im gonna say a cage full of roo's least what i can see. Rhode Island Reds By 5 weeks males have larger and thicker legs and a larger (pinkening) comb and wattle area. Tricks to try are to startle them like Sneeze or clap if they scatter and run (chance is there hens If they look at you like your silly chance are there males by no means is this 100% accurate in sexing RiR's " Pullets usually get their wing and tail feathers before cockerels (in the first week or so).
    - At around 5 to 6 weeks, sometimes sooner, you will see definate comb development on the cockerels in most breeds (it will start to redden, whilst the pullets will still be yellowy).
    - At 2-3 months you will see the hackle feathers developing on the males. They will start to get longer and will be more pointed.
    - Cockerels are usually braver - if you walk into your henhouse and accidentally sneeze, the pullets should be the ones that scattered!
    - Cockerels have more pointed feather tips.
    - Cockerels are usually bigger by a few weeks old.
    - Pullets tend to have a smaller, round head, compared to the cockerels larger more angular one.

- Cockerels usually have longer legs (look for spur development).

All of these general signs are indications - not certainties. There are always exceptions to the rule, and not all breeds will conform to the general signs. You may have a really friendly timid
    cockerel in your bunch masquerading as a pullet (and vice versa)."

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I think they are all roosters. Nine week old hens will not have comb developement like your's are showing. [​IMG]

5. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Im no expert either but they all look like roo's to me!

God Bless!

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's a nice group of cockerels. [​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, I think they are all roos, too.

Sorry!

Shelly

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Yep, I agree with the rest.. 100% cockerels.

9. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'm sorry, but I don't see one hen. [​IMG]

I've got pullets. Wish I could get some to you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by