1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can SOMEONE please HELP me! Please im desperate!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nesle, May 13, 2011.

1. nesle

nesle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I helped this chick out with tweezers and there is a red sack hanging out of her. She also seems to not have absorbed the yolk but i cant tell what the brown liquid is that poured out of the shell. Her head was still attached to the shell by something but she go herself free and i tried to take a part of the shell off of her and it still seems to still be attached to her by a vein or something. I don't know what to do i helped her out too soon i think. We wrapped her in a wet paper towel in the incubator to keep her in place. Was that a good thing to do? Can someone please help! Any advice please and Id appreciate if you can tell me if this has ever happened to you before. Thank you so much for responding and God Bless.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    A wet paper towel maybe the best. I'd keep it moist and wait. Was it just a pip?

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I agree with geepy----just let her rest now, and hopefully she'll be o.k. It's so hard to know when to help, but best to wait for at least a few hours---it can take 24 hours for a chick to hatch after pipping.

4. nesle

nesle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    No I didnt look at the clock when it did pip but id guess it was around noon today or later. I have it wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel right now and it just laying there wrapped in it. I made a mistake taking it out this soon.

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478109

I
    tie off the egg yolk hanging out and cut it off. It will just pull on out if you leave it and make the baby dehydrate. This way all can dry out and give the baby best possible way to survive. I give them drinks of sugar water approx 1 tsp sugar and pinch of salt to 30 ml of warm water to help give them strength until they can eat. I have lost many this way and have had many survive. I use white thread to do this.

6. nesle

nesle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    And i started helping it out with tweezers about 10 or 15 minutes ago. I was careful to only take away shell and not membrane but i didnt peel membrane off that looked dry.

7. sfavorelle

sfavorelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    North Liberty, IN
    I agree just keep it moist, we use a spray bottle to mist sometimes and just see how she does

8. nesle

nesle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Wayne&Kim1963 :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478109

I
    tie off the egg yolk hanging out and cut it off. It will just pull on out if you leave it and make the baby dehydrate. This way all can dry out and give the baby best possible way to survive. I give them drinks of sugar water approx 1 tsp sugar and pinch of salt to 30 ml of warm water to help give them strength until they can eat. I have lost many this way and have had many survive. I use white thread to do this.

Is that what this red sack is? the egg yolk? it looks more like a sack of blood hanging out of the abdomen.​

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Where is this red sack hanging out of her/it?

10. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    It could have been too soon or some babies are born with their egg yolk sac not up inside right. It is sometimes hard to know right answer should I help or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by