Can someone please Help me!!! Porcelain Sizzle Genetics???

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by kellyloveschad, Oct 26, 2016.

1. kellyloveschad

kellyloveschad Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    Can someone please help me I would love more porcelain silkies!!!
    I google and google and cant find a list of what makes porcelain!!!
    As of right now I have a blue and a black with some gold tips roosters!! both my porcelains parents are show birds!! I just didn't know if you could only get porcelain with two porcelains??? Do I have a chance with either of my roosters to get a porcelain??

[​IMG]

This is south Carolina my other rooster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is steve one of my roosters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is krewella
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is north
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is sleeping beauty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is snow white
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is chinadoll she is s porcelain sizzle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Yoire only going to get porcelain with 2 porcelain birds or birds carrying the genetics to create porcelain. Nothing you have there mixed together will make more porcelain. The name for porcelain in now blue cream.

3. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Porcelain is a mixed up mess on the USA and silkie breeders are trying to fix it. It can be obtained with partridge and lavender or buff and lavender. I've seen other stuff thrown in but it doesn't come out looking the same. The issue is since it isn't a recognized color yet everyone keeps changing the way they look to suit what they want instead of working to a common goal.

4. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    thank you she is so cute but of egg on ebay they want way to much money!!!

5. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Yes blue cream is a relatively new color and the good breeders are asking a fair price for them. The true way of doing it should be buff and lavender. It takes a lot of work and a lot of culling birds and years of breeding to perfect that color and therefore the price you see.

6. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    My friend gave me all my silkie chicks I just have to give her some fertilized next spring!! she's in charge of our four h and sell silkies chicks she said if I let the chickens hatch the babies you have to keep them until they are ready to let them go!! or I would trade her but I don't think I could lesson to them cry knowing its my fault!!

7. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Chicks can be taken away from the hen as soon as they hatch but you have to hand raise them then with a brooder. They won't cry why you take them away because just like any other animals their mother will wean them and they will be on their own.

8. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    [​IMG]

It started out as two then she had so many birds that she liked so the one's I as well liked I took in for her!! so I get the benefit of having silkies without paying 60-125 a bird!! most of the porcelains are her highest dollar birds!!! my chickens are more like my babys that I carry around my chickens love being held!

9. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    Thanks for the info!!! she brought me most of my silkies the day they hatched!!! she uses an egg hatching thing!!!

10. SeneyMaker

SeneyMaker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    I have created Porcelain from scratch in a standard size fancy chicken in the Seney breed several years ago. It is not for the faint at heart or random breeder if you do it the hard way. There are many modifiers at work to get the color right. The simple genotype is to get a bird that is colored like a New Hampshire. That gives you the correct alleles at the extended locus. Next you will need the mottling allele. In addition you will need the lavender allele.

A simpler method would be to breed a Millie Fleur to a Lavender. The F2 will get you close.

I have pictures of some juvenile porcelain Seneys on my website, however, I did not take any pictures of the adults before ending my chicken rearing days. I know you are talking about silkies, but chickens are chickens and they all use the same genome for colors.

Depending on the judges, they will prefer a certain base color over another. The amount of mottling is also important for shows. Younger birds generally have fewer speckles than older ones. Furthermore, just because the Standard of Perfection documents the correct color does not mean that the judge will see it that way. A case in-point is Mille Fleur. I have never seen the Standard of Perfection color description win at a show. Judges prefer the lighter colored bodies. The difference? Modifiers.

Good luck.

RJ Seney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by