can someone please help me with a bumblefoot question? (post #9)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, Sep 19, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Her foot has been like this for about a week or two. I have her separated with 2 other hens in a chicken run type- area. The other hens are sweet and nothing is wrong with the except they have bare backs, and I want to grow their feathers out for Winter without roosters jumping on them and 'pulling them out'.

Her foot left foot is very swollen, and it is very rough on the ball of her foot, almost like a callus, (sp?) but not a scab. She isn't putting much weight on it at all. What do you guys think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's bumble foot.

There are numerous threads you can find on here on how to heal it.

It takes regular care for about two weeks.

Here is what we do.

1. Pull off the scab on the bottom of the foot. Yeah, it's a scab.

2. Squeeze all of the pus out.

3. Wash and clean.

4. Apply Neosporin.

5. mix Idodine and sugar... place over the neosporin in the wound.

6. place gauze and wrap the food with medical tape.

Repeat EVERYDAY until she's better. It works.

Go back over all of your roosts and find the nail or the splinter that caused the problem in the first place and remove or put duct tape over it, cuz if you don't, you'll be treating this again.

Good luck.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Basically what we do. great minds think alike.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had to deal with Bumblefoot yet,.. but thanks to BYC I feel completely prepared![​IMG]

NOT that I want to deal with it...[​IMG]

There are a lot of good teachers and a lot of experience here on the "chicken channel".[​IMG]

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was bumble foot or not. Im glad I posted this. I have been posting so much lately, I didn't want you all to think that everything in the world was wrong with our chickens! Thanks again for all of the replies. I will start treating tomorrow if you think it can wait another day.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It looks very painful. I was on here when someone was talking about bumble foot and said her vet recommended Tricide- Neo powder so I have ordered some to have on hand, after you take off the scab you just soak the foot for several days it takes care of bacterial and viral infection. Haven't had to deal with it yet but want to be ready. Hope she gets better quickly.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Lance it. drain it, pull plug and wrap it.... It is bumblefoot and I would keep her separate as it is staph and likely to spread... (be very careful with staph)... Keep the clean up sterile.

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks all for the replies. I have one more question...I have seen many bumblefoot pics that look similar to this..( I got this from google)

[​IMG]

My hen has the rough, swollen part (like mentioned in first post, almost like a callus) (sp?)

I do not see a scab like that though. Its hard to explain, but if you know what Im talking about, please help. Do I pull off the big, rough part or do I need to wash her foot first and then see if I could find a scab? I do not want to pull off a big spot that is going to make it even worse. Here is another pic off google of what MY hen's foot looks like. I know I have pics but this one is better.

[​IMG]

Thanks for everything...I am going to wait to do the surgery this weekend. I have no time on the week days.

10. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    going to do treatment Saturday. Still need help with the question in post #9. Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by