Can someone please help....

Shawfarm

Hatching
May 13, 2020
My girl here has plucked most her feathers away from her bottom. She’s very swollen and red. I keep searching but nothing seems to help me figure out what’s wrong. She is still eating, drinking water with Apple cider vinegar and pooping a little...but she doesn’t move. She stays in the little box I have her in and lays down or sometimes stands. She doesn’t try to get out like she used to...she tries to get out of everything. Seeing her like this is killing me... I’ll add a photo.
I did soak her in warm water with Epsom salts too. She’s eating oyster shells as well. Her appetite has severely decreased, but she does still eat! Please someone help me!

Attachments

• EB6EBB91-FD31-4261-8533-9ABCEEB5D3F2.jpeg
    EB6EBB91-FD31-4261-8533-9ABCEEB5D3F2.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 8
  • A96EC7DC-A3D4-4A74-949C-AD58BDA43FDB.jpeg
    A96EC7DC-A3D4-4A74-949C-AD58BDA43FDB.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 8
My girl here has plucked most her feathers away from her bottom. She’s very swollen and red. I keep searching but nothing seems to help me figure out what’s wrong. She is still eating, drinking water with Apple cider vinegar and pooping a little...but she doesn’t move. She stays in the little box I have her in and lays down or sometimes stands. She doesn’t try to get out like she used to...she tries to get out of everything. Seeing her like this is killing me... I’ll add a photo.
I did soak her in warm water with Epsom salts too. She’s eating oyster shells as well. Her appetite has severely decreased, but she does still eat! Please someone help me!
Maybe she’s egg bound?! Although normally they don’t pluck there feathers out by there butt..🤔

Are you sure she plucked them? Or did her flock mates pluck them?

She only had one other hen with her and she doesn’t go near her unless they are roosting. I guess I can’t say 100% she plucked them, but the feathers are missing and she’s swollen.

Maybe she’s egg bound?! Although normally they don’t pluck there feathers out by there butt..🤔

I have no idea. This is our first time having chickens and this happening. We never dealt with something like this so we aren’t sure. I just can’t have her die on me. We just lost her sister 2 months ago. She broke her leg awhile back and it just hurt her. 😞 I don’t want to lose this one too.

Maybe vent gleet?

Does her lower belly between her legs feel swollen or enlarged compared to other hens? Ascites might be a possibility. Does she lay eggs? She looks like she may have been feather picked by others or picked her own.

Does her lower belly between her legs feel swollen or enlarged compared to other hens? Ascites might be a possibility. Does she lay eggs? She looks like she may have been feather picked by others or picked her own.

Yes her belly is definitely swollen compared to the rest. She hasn’t laid any eggs since last fall. I just don’t see her other sister plucking her feathers out. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen...would being feather plucked by others make her act weird? She doesn’t move. She just stands or lays. She normally liked to explore the yard, little swamp, and neighbors. She doesn’t do anything now except look like she’s in pain.

An enlarged lower abdomen can be from both internal laying where lash egg material may be found, egg yolk peritonitis, and water belly (ascites.) Draining some of the yellow fluid, if it is caused by ascites, would be something that might give some temporary relief. An 18 gauge or larger 16 gauge needle is inserted under the skin of the abdomen and a large syringe can draw off fluid or it can drip from the needle. The skin must be disinfected with chlorhexidene or betadine before doing this. It is not without risk of infection, shock, or death, and will only help temporarily. Here is some reading in post 42 about draining a hen and a couple of videos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

An enlarged lower abdomen can be from both internal laying where lash egg material may be found, egg yolk peritonitis, and water belly (ascites.) Draining some of the yellow fluid, if it is caused by ascites, would be something that might give some temporary relief. An 18 gauge or larger 16 gauge needle is inserted under the skin of the abdomen and a large syringe can draw off fluid or it can drip from the needle. The skin must be disinfected with chlorhexidene or betadine before doing this. It is not without risk of infection, shock, or death, and will only help temporarily. Here is some reading in post 42 about draining a hen and a couple of videos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Thank you for all of this! I’m extremely nervous about this so I’m thinking it might be time to reach out to a vet friend of mine. I was waiting in hopes this could possibly go away, but I doubt it. I appreciate all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom