can someone please help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychicken1, May 16, 2011.

1. citychicken1

citychicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    I have a one year old barred rock hen and friday night I isolated her inside the house because she had a sore on her comb and the very back of the comb was blue. The sore was dry but I put some blu-kote on it anyway. Yesterday she started to sound like she had a broncial thing going on but still no mucus. Today the broncial thing is worse. Any one have any ideas as to what this could be and how to treat her?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    is her comb blue due to the blu-kote? a blue/purple comb is a sign of a lack of oxygen, not good. look up respiratory infection in the search to see what antibiotics people give, I believe is is tylan 50, but I am not sure, someone here will be able to help you. try to give her some electrolyte solution in her water for strenght, good luck

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. citychicken1

Nov 14, 2010
    update I took her to the vet and she gave me baytril but wanted me to give it oraly down her throat. If the chicken is facing me which side of the throat leads to the stomach? I am so scared I will make things worse.

5. ChickensAreSweet

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    When I have to give something oral to chickens I use a small syringe and push out drop by drop to the end or side of the beak and they dwallow it down. If you try to force it you could drown the bird.

7. citychicken1

Nov 14, 2010
    This is my concern, however the Dr. said to give it oraly down the back of her throat. I am thinking of going to tractor supply and getting Tylan 50. This baytril must taste terrible because I tried injecting it into some rasberries but as soon as she tasted it she dropped it andshook her head. Will not touch them now. What do you guys think of that? Will the bottle tell me how much and can it be injected or put in water?

8. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you follow your vets advice and use the baytril. Pull her wattles down and she'll open her mouth, you gotta be quick and put a few drops in her mouth, she will swallow it on her own. Practice pulling her wattles down to get the timing right before you dose her with the baytril, you dont want her to shake it out of her mouth. She would do the same thing with tylan or any other oral meds. I dont like soluables mixed in water neither....you never know how much they drank to be effective, and if they're sick, they wont drink anyway....also in cooler temps, they drink less.

10. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes, follow your vet's advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by