Can someone please tell me how old these chicks are?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannon33, May 14, 2011.

1. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Hi, I was in a pet store today and to my surprise they had chicks. They had some Polish which I have always wanted and so naturally I couldn't resist. However I have no idea how old they are and neither did the person working there. I have only ever had silkies so I'm not very familiar with the sizes of a standard chicken. I would like to know roughly how old they are so I can figure out when they can go outside. Also, is this a breed that you have to wait until someone crows to figure out sex, or are there any early indicators? Thanks for any info! Here is a pic of one of them, I got three, they are all roughly the same size.

[​IMG]

2. RNM Chicks

RNM Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Webster Groves, MO
    it acually depends if its a batam or a maran so do you know i would say 7-12 weeks maybe more just trying to help! [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sorry, I know nothing about polish so I can't tell you gender. But it certainly looks fully feathered, so, depending on your temperatures it is probably ready for it's outside coop.

4. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Yay Chicks! :

Sorry, I know nothing about polish so I can't tell you gender. But it certainly looks fully feathered, so, depending on your temperatures it is probably ready for it's outside coop.

It is sooo cute!​

5. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Pretty sure they are not bantams. There was a bantam bin and they were not in it. Although I don't think the people at the store knew much about them so who knows, lol. They do look pretty feathered in, although one of them the feathers are a little sparser, maybe I will just wait a week or so and then try them. Thank you [​IMG]
    And yes, they are cute!! Crazy little hair-dos they have:)

6. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    That one looks about the same size as my rhode island reds and silver lace wyandotte which are 8 weeks old. I am judging more by the size of the body in your hand and the tiny feathers around the head and ears. I don't know anything about bantams though so that could be completely off.

7. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I would say 6-8 weeks. Here is my then 6 week old Barred Rock

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by