Can someone please tell me how to breed broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nature Gurl, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nature Gurl

Nature Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    I have never bred my birds before but I would like to hatch some chicks in the spring with a broody hen. I have 2 birds in particular that I would like to breed. Should I put them in a breeding pen together once my hen has gone broody? Will she still let him mate with her? Or do they need to be kept together before hand? I can't seem to find any good info on how to go about this. Do I just let her lay her clutch and incubate them? Sorry if I sound naive but I'm new to this! Thanks!

2. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    You would want the hens to be in with the rooster so they produce fertile eggs. There is no guarentee that your hens will go broodie when you want or ever for that matter. If your hen does go broodie you can give her any fertile eggs she will most likely except any breed or species. she will need to be seperated from the rooster when you know shes a reliable setter.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nature Gurl

Nature Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    I have a silkie that is pretty much guaranteed to go broody on me so I was hoping to breed her. I just wasn't sure if I put her in a pen with the rooster beforehand and wait for her to go broody or if I put them together after she has already gone broody.

4. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    put him in before she wont lay eggs when she is broody, or at least none of mine do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by