Can someone please tell.me if this is a quail

Sians quails

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
I caught this bird tonight in the paddock in the west australian wheat belt area. I've had quails before and it does look like one. But would like confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Awesome thanks. Do you know if ithe is a male or female and what the opposite looks like?

Just googled it and no I've have coturnix before and this one is much much smaller. More like the button quail size. :( I'm thinking just a brown quail. But can't confirm it.

Oh sorry yes they have the same species name. My bad. I'm after what it's other name is too.

From the first picture(seing it from above), I would have said 'Yes, quail' - from the other two pics, it's certainly not like any quail I've seen. Basically meaning it's not a coturnix(Japanese quail) or a button(King quail or chinese painted quail). Looking at pictures from google, I don't think it's a brown quail, a true button quail or a stubble quail either(those are apparently the three species of true quail that live in australia). But I can't say what it is..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom