Can someone please tell me why I never see roosts in the runs?

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I see lots of great coops with these huge 6-8 ft high runs but the girls only have access to the floor. Why not put roosting bars or shelving and such at different heights to give them more to do, exercise, or make more room for more birds? Am I missing something?
hide.gif

Quote:
I don't know about the rest but my birds like to scratch during the day and only roost at night so that's why I only have roost in the sleeping area
smile.png

Coops have roosts because that's where chickens sleep at nite.. but you are asking why there aren't more levels in a run for the birds to play on during the day, right? Unless the runs are completely covered, the levels would just provide a ramp for jumping/ flying out.

We don't have true roosts in our run but have put in a couple of limbs a foot or so off the round for the girls to lounge on. Also have a sandbox made from barn siding and at times the whole flock is perching on these.

It all depends on their mood at the time but it never hurts to provide roosting areas out in the run.

Larry

I have a covered run. I put in some hoizontal 2x4s and they use them a lot. I think chickens like a higher outlook when they are not just pecking about.

We have a couple of roosts out on the end of our run where the entrance is. The girls like to sit up there so they can eat out of our hands. They come running and jump up on the roosts and greet us in the morning when we go out to check on them.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

I have a few tree limbs in the run because I have pigeons in with the chickens. The pigeons are usually outside on these during the day, but the few chickens I have that can fly don't use them during daylight. My polish do occasionally roost outside at night. It's kind of funny since they will roost in the run or in the coop depending on the weather. I do have a covered run.

I have roosts in the corner of my runs!!!! Ive never seen the girls on theirs, but my turkeys sit on them all day. Ive only had the girls a few weeks, and the coop is far away from the house, so they may use them and I dont see it.

Back
Top Bottom