Can someone PLZ tell me what kinds of worms these are?!

Crystal R

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
[/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
My son saw them in the poop (somehow!) & showed his daddy so they both came running inside to tell me. I went out & searched through all the poop (yeah ik it was disgusting lol) & only found 1 runny pile w/ them but idk what kind they are so I can worm them all. I don't want to buy the wrong wormer that won't kill the worms & put my babies through unnecessary stress so any help is GREATLY appreciated! Just to throw this in, I have 11 laying hens hen & 7 pullets right now & my layers where laying awesome everyday but now has dropped to maybe 3-4 eggs a day. It's hot in Southwest Louisiana but have fans, iced waterers plus loads of shade for them so could the worms be the cause of the drastic drop in egg production??

Last edited:
Those look more like maggots/ fly larve, did they actually see the chicken do the poop? Could one of the birds have fly strike, a wound with maggots, vent problems?

No my son saw them in some poop on the ground so I went in the coop & started digging. No no wounds or any injuries. It was hard as heck to find them in the poop! They're really small & only found them in the runny dark poop

I'm flipping out b/c all my birds are like my babies! Heck my duck comes in & out of my house as she pleases lol. They're all beyond spoiled. I wanna say my Cochin/Ameraucana mix cockerel was perched above where I found the poo

Hopefully somebody else will have an idea. Fly eggs can hatch into maggots in like 8 hours in the heat, so they do show up pretty fast if you have flys laying eggs around.

They do look like maggots to me too but I'm no expert at identifing such things lol!

Regardless what these may be, if you are very concerned about worms, and you should be, then put all your birds on a regular deworming schedule with a safe, effective product like Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats. Treat them all, do a repeat dose in 10 days. Then deworm them a couple times a year to stay on top of the worm load. Although in Louisiana you may need to deworm more often.

If they're maggots I have never seen any that small. I clean my coop every afternoon about 6pm so I know they pooped them out last night. I gonna get my hubbs to go grab the cockerel so I can look him over really good. What is the dosage for the wormers? Do I put it in water or orally? All of my birds are standard except 3 bantams, Jersey black giant & buff Orpington

Back
Top Bottom