1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Can someone recommend a chicken walking harness for a 5-6 pound chicken?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by UncleDougsChickens, May 23, 2019.

1. UncleDougsChickens

UncleDougsChickens Chirping

Nov 18, 2017
    I purchased one on Amazon because reviews said it would fit a 5 pound chicken and the pictures showed 2 at least 3-4 pound chickens wearing it so i thought it would be ok. I tried it on my 6 pound girl, way too small. Tried it on a 2 pound chicken and even then it wouldn't fit.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Maybe use a leash (tether) around the ankle instead? Some have been successful with that method. :fl

3. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    At the ace hardware near me they have chicken harnesses for all chickens they are for large and bantam and are adjustable sorry I forgot the company name though

4. UncleDougsChickens

Nov 18, 2017
    funny enough i went to my TSC and purchased a dog harness but its exactly the same as the one marketed for chickens on amazon that i got, just a larger size.

5. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Have any pictures of her wearing it?

6. UncleDougsChickens

Nov 18, 2017
    I will take one next time I put it on her. Its for a 10 pound dog and its a little loose on her so I guess the 8 pound harness would have been better.

7. SvartJapCall

SvartJapCall In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    We normally just use dog harnesses, they work equally well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: