can someone recommend canning equipment to infast

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sunflowerenvy, Nov 19, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i would love to get into canning but i have no idea what kind canning equipment to get? what do you folks used i always freeze my food before.
    thank u

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use a steam canner instead of a water bath, not to be confused with a pressure canner which also uses steam. Basicly it looks like an upside down pot. The short lid is on the bottom which you fill with a couple inches of water. There is a short rack which you set your jars on and the larger lid that covers the jars. You bring the little bit of water to boil cover with the lid and when steam starts coming out the hole on the side you start timing.

Esentials---Ball Blue Book of Canning. It's like the Bible of Canning!

Ball or Kerr canning jars of various sizes with rims and lids. Lids have to be replaced everytime, rim and jars are reuseable until they break or rust out.
    Jar lifter, cap lifter, funnel--you can buy these as a set.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:no locking pans like a pressure cooking
    you set the top tall pan onto the small pan n it has the jars n water in it
    thank u

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

This is the one I've got but I don't think I paid this much for it.

http://www.mendingshed.com/bactobasstea.html

These can only be used for high acid foods. Low acid foods have to be done in a pressure canner like this

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/pressurecanners.html

My pressure canner is older than dirt. It's uses a weighted guage instead of the fancy guages that have to be tested from time to time.

Get the Ball Blue Book. It will teach you everything you need to know!!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm sorry.. What does "infast" mean? Is it a type of canner?
    I'm looking to get into canning also... my local co-op has a class on it in the spring so i'll be taking it.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    definitely get the Ball Blue Book! it is a great start to some wonderful recipes! i have modified a few of my own recipes from those listed in there.

i have a huge (lunch lady's) pot someone gave me last year that i use for doing the water bath for my jams and jellies. i haven't done veggie canning yet but i have 2 old pressure cookers that my grandmother used for her canning of smaller jars. i think i'm going to look into one of those steamers now that i've seen them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by