Can someone set me straight about avian flu?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hatrick, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Can my birds get it? If they get it it means I can get it, right? How do I make sure they don't get it? Please set me straight!!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
  3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
  4. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
  5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The comment that Avian flu is not common in this or any other country is incorrect. There are many types of Avian flu, most are not reportable, a few that require quarantine and a couple that requires culling of the flock.

Chances are that if our flocks were blood tested for antibodies for the different flu strains they would come back positive.

As to contracting flu from our birds, the chances of that happening are so small that its not even worth thinking about. Be more afraid of sharing a room with another human or the food in your super market.

6. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Thank you. [​IMG] With three little kids I'm already completely neurotic so it's easy to let stuff get away from you...now if I could just not worry about swine flu... [​IMG]

7. BarnCoopGirl

BarnCoopGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Oyama, British Columbia
    I'm with ya!

I have small kids aswell and I'm paranoided!

Thanks for posting the topic!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I got a little yellow trifold flyer in Madison WI during the coop tour from the US dept of biosecurity. That little flyer was a very good reminder to protect our birds from OUR germs, not the other way around. All flu virus is avian. Potentially, we could give it to our chickens after a day at work or school where we picked it up. DH reminded the kids to stop kissing the birds on the head, because now its flu season and we don't want any sick chickens.

10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:Well, there are lots of avian flus. The ones showing potential to cross from birds to humans have not been commonly found here, from what I've read. I was assuming that was what the OP meant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by