Can someone show me a detached or ruptured air sac?

KZ

Songster
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Fountain, Colorado
I keep reading about detatched or ruptured air sacs caused by shipping, but I have never seen a picture of one. I looked on Youtube to see if there was something there, also. Does anyone have a picture to show me what these look like?

I don't have a picture but I think that detached air cells will "wobble" around the egg when you handle the egg. I have seen them in shipped eggs and it is hard to explain. When you candle they look like an air bubble that is moving. I always handle shipped eggs carefully to keep the cell at the large end of the egg. I have gotten them in shipped eggs and they still hatch.

I don't know about pics, but they are pretty easy to see if you candle. I was a newbie "candler" and could see the difference. I saw them when I had shipped eggs and most were scrambled.
An ATTACHED air sac will be at the large end of the egg and will not move when you tilt the egg. A DETACHED cell will move when you tilt the egg.
Hope that helps. If you are hatching your own eggs, chances are you won't see the differences because they are all intact.

Sorry, the picture isn't as good as I hoped it would be.
roll.png
Maybe this one isn't even detached because it doesn't move much when I handle the egg... I plan on trying to stand it up on the pointy end to see if it will change position. But you can see that the air sac is in the middle of the egg instead of the blunt end. This duckling seems to be alive and developing so far though. The other bright light is my flashlight.
tongue.png

DSCF3886.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom