Can someone tell me, how long DO quail live for?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by eggsrcool, Aug 22, 2009.

1. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I have been searching everywhere, but I can't find an answer which everyone agrees on. Some say 2 years others say 7. I'm talking about Coturnix in captivity by the way, lol. Thank you for any answers [​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    mine last for about a year.... but that is with the lights on 24/7 [​IMG] Extra roos are culled and cooked as soon as they are of size

if you are letting them get light naturally and let them cool off between laying season I've heard 3-7 years.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I too have heard 3-5 years, but as Boyd said, if you keep a light on them (essentially forcing them to lay during the winter) this decreases their life expectancy a lot.

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I have the old lady she is 5years old

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Always Heard Upwards Of 7. I Have An Old Maid Here--- Just Turned 6 Last Month Shes Doing Just Fine, And Our Are Kept Under Lights.... Which Btw, Doesnt Cut There Life Span Any, Just Burns Them Out On Laying---- You're Only Born With So Many Eggs.....

I Dont Think She's Laid More Than 3-5 Eggs This Year= Total... But She's A Sweet Old Gal So We Leave Her Be. And Every Once In A While She Surprises Us With An Occaisional Egg. -- They're Still Fertile Too!

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They last untill I want to try out a new recipie...

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:[​IMG] lol

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Thank you for your replies

9. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have heard and experienced and very low egg production after molt. Being they are a great hatching experience 1 year max here.

10. seth osborn

seth osborn In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    I have heard 3 to 7 years (I'm not totally sure because mine are not old enough to tell).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: