Can someone tell me if these are jakes or jennies?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by NoisyCricket, Jul 28, 2013.

1. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Songster

Jun 3, 2011
    Also, what breed are they? Bronze? Three are about 12 weeks old. The 4th is 10 weeks I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next guy is a BR X ? that I hatched out. He is ~2 weeks younger than the rest, and quite a bit smaller. The others I bought at the feed store to keep him company.

[​IMG]

The feed store told me they were heritage breeds (they didn't know what), but could they be BBB and BBW? The white guy is very heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure on the gender but they look like Broad Breasted Bronzes and Broad Breasted Whites.

3. Chicos Mama

Chicos Mama In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Payson, Arizona
    Correct on the breeds...Jennies...both of them

4. hessclan6

hessclan6 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    At 10-12 weeks I am usually just starting to get fairly certain what sex our poults are. It's easier to tell male from female. Toms are usually larger at this point and have longer snoods. They should also start showing more color on the head and have longer wattles. I've had jakes that were strutting and gobbling by this age as well although they don't always that soon.

5. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Songster

Jun 3, 2011
    Well, I am not happy they are BB as they were supposed to be heritage birds, but I am very happy that they are all Jennies. I knew they were all the same sex, but had no others to compare them too.

Is it possible to keep BB birds as pets?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: