Can someone tell me if these are males or females?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiffaneykalata, Jun 13, 2010.

1. tiffaneykalata

tiffaneykalata New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    Crandon, Wisconsin
    These are the first chickens we have owned and I don't know how tell if they are males or females. Can someone tell by just looking at them? They are between 5 and 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Tiffaney

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb and wattle on the first one looks like a cockerel to me. Very red for a 5-6 week old.

The brown one in the last pic also has a pretty large comb.

Melissa

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    you should be able to tell by age 6-8 weeks. very red comb and waffles much larger than the others.

4. tiffaneykalata

tiffaneykalata New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    Crandon, Wisconsin
    Thanks, they could be a little older, I purchased them when they were about 4 days old (so the store owner says), but I pretty much thought the first one was a rooster. I wasn't sure about the others. I know one of the reds has a short yellow comb, so I'm thinking that's a pullet. But one of the black ones, the comb seems to be black? Any suggestions?

Here are some more close up pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is the one I think is a rooster, it runs full speed at the other chickens, but is not aggressive, it is also bigger then all the rest. I know it's considered a black production chicken, but when it was smaller it had white under its butt, and its chest, and you can see the white in its feathers in the chest, anybody know what it's parents could have been?

5. tiffaneykalata

tiffaneykalata New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    Crandon, Wisconsin
    Anybody else?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think the 1st is a rooster and the last (red one) may be a rooster as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by