Can someone tell me if these are recognized varieties of Ameraucana? TIA

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MegMTL, Jun 13, 2016.

1. MegMTL

MegMTL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Hello,

I'm looking to find out if my Ameraucanas (sold from a breeder) are recognized varieties or if they must be considered EE due to the colour discrepancies?

TIA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The white "splash" hen and the light brown hen (3rd and last photo) were hatched here, so they are the daughters of the rooster in the photos. We had 2 Blue hens but one passed away and the other I sold as she was getting old.

The small black hen (not the BLS) is fairly young maybe 4-5 months old. (1st photo she was so hard to get a photo of)

2. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    I should add they all have slate legs, except the white 'splash' hen had slate legs but yellow toenails? Everyone else is slate completely.

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

All except MAYBE the Splash look to be EEs in my opinion.

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  4. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you,

The white splash hen was hatched here and is 100% daughter of the rooster in the photos. The mother is unknown as I let all the blue eggs hatch. I only collect the brown eggs in the spring / early summer.

5. Alexandra33

You're so welcome! [​IMG] I would say the Splash is also an EE if the father is the handsome roo pictured. They're beautiful birds! [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I am not a breeder, and there are some things I don't get. Like if you breed 2 Ameraucana, how is the result EE if they don't match the standard exactly? And why is that not true for say Orpingtons or some other breed?

That being said most of yours appear to be EE.

And another thing.... are they really breeders if they aren't breeding selectively for certain characteristics? I almost don't think so, more like back yard hatchers or something. This coming after I have bought from 2 separate back yard breeders, neither NPIP certified.

The real question, what will I be?! I am planning to breed blue Ameraucana.

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Hope you have tons of fun here.

1 person likes this.
  7. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    I'm not a pro at this and am wondering what about them makes you say EE? Like the roo for example? Or the lighter brown hen? For example is it their colour? The comb, the muff? TIA sorry for my amateur questions!

And yes you are right, the "breeder" was probably more of a backyard breeder than a true one, unfortunately that is very common here in QC.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  8. Alexandra33

Oh no, don't feel silly at all! I'm not an expert myself. [​IMG] But the reason I say EE is that their colors don't match up with the varieties I've seen. True Ameraucanas come in Black, Blue, Splash, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and probably a couple others that I'm not aware of, but never black with a few red feathers or a gold head and brown plumage. The roo wears a lot more red and less black than my Wheaten roo, as well as a much smaller beard (plus, my boy's is white). This is Ling, my bantam AM cockerel for reference. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

9. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you! And wow he is so handsome! How old is he? Mine is already 2 1/2 years old.

10. Alexandra33

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind compliment! [​IMG] I think he's about 15-16 weeks old now, and quite the little man. [​IMG] I only hope that he stays nice and lives to maturity like your boy!

~Alex

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by