Can someone tell me the breed of these hens?

Chickmagnet1100

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
I got these chicks at 3 weeks old & now they are 10-11 weeks of age.
When I bought them I was told they are 3 Golden Laced Wyandottes, but after doing some research I'm not so shore.
Also could they be bantams to be this size at 11 weeks of age. I believe they are all hens, but if you think different please let me know.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Although it's difficult to tell through the pictures, they look like they're Easter Eggers, by the shape of the feathers around the head and the colors (lucky you!). Easter Eggers are a very gorgeous breed, and lay multi colored eggs which is how they get their name. They can be a bit flighty, but will grow more friendly as they get older. They also could be Golden laced wyandottes, which was my first instinct, but the feather shape and color of the orangish one is what's jumping out. Either of those are very nice birds. I can tell you more specifically if you post more photos. If I am correct, you got yourself some nice chickens. I unfortunately can't tell you if they're all hens through these pictures, but as time goes on I'm sure you (and your neighbors) will be able to tell if they are not all hens. Good luck with your chickens! :)

Last edited:
I agree with foundhenfarm. They definitely look like easter eggers, which, while not technically a breed (it's a cross of Araucana, Ameraucana, and/or other breeds, causing green eggs), are a well loved variety of chicken. You should get green, blue, and/or pink eggs from them, which are always a delight.

Thanks for the Information. I'm very surprised that they could be easter eggers. Now that you have told me what they may be, I've started looking for information about this breed. As you said the picture are not the best I'll post more pictures tomorrow to help with identifying the chicks tomorrow. If you could give me any information/links etc on easter eggers, like the breeds to cross for the right colored egg etc. Any information would be a great help.
Thank you foundhenfarm & Nocila for your information & help so far.

Thanks for the Information. I'm very surprised that they could be easter eggers. Now that you have told me what they may be, I've started looking for information about this breed. As you said the picture are not the best I'll post more pictures tomorrow to help with identifying the chicks tomorrow. If you could give me any information/links etc on easter eggers, like the breeds to cross for the right colored egg etc. Any information would be a great help.
Thank you foundhenfarm & Nocila for your information & help so far.

Hello and :welcome. Here is the EE thread for more info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread. To check out the genetics page, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/breeds-genetics-showing. Feel free to ask any question you may have, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on BYC. :)

It all depends on what egg colors you want. If you want the green eggs, then you'll have to breed them with other easter eggers, or get some real araucanas or real ameraucanas to get green/blue eggs. You can also breed them to dark brown laying birds to get what's called an olive egger, if you want.

Hello Basskids08, for your warm welcome to the BYC.
The links you sent me has made for some very interesting reading.It will be sometime before I have some questions to ask I have a lot of information to read in the links you sent.
As asked by some other people for better quality photos I have included other 5 but this is the best quality I can get as keep
moving just when you take the picture,they are never still, always on the move.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Thanks again Basskids08

Answer to your question Nocila about colored eggs is every possible color I can get. I like a challenge to see what I can do outside the box & after reading the information & links from this blog page this is the kind of challenge I like to see what different kind of breeds I can get & colored eggs I can get. My Aunty also does egg carving & the demand for colored eggs is high,so I would have no problem with having to many eggs.

You might want to look into getting some real Araucanas and/or Ameraucanas (Araucanas have no tails, and both come in standard types of colors, so you'll probably see lots of Easter Eggers being sold as Araucanas or Ameraucanas). Araucanas and Ameraucanas have lovely blue eggs that your aunt would love!

I will look into it Nocila & I will get alot more information before I start buying & breeding these chickens. They had me hooked from the first day I bought them with the colors & feather patten,they are just a magnificent looking breed of bird.
Cheers Chickmagnet.

Back
Top Bottom