Can someone tell me what a sex-link is?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicksgalore, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I thought these were the results of breeding 2 particular breeds of chickens so you could tell what sex they were based on their markings but they are now I've been seeing them listed totally in their own category like they're completely their own breed?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    You are correct, but I guess they could also be listed as it's own breed.

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Sexlinks are crosses. If bred their offspring will not be sexlinked.

4. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    I always thought they were bred so that the chicks could be sexed at hatch based on coloring...I guess everyone wants to be fancy and not use the term "s-x " in the name. They are in reality hybrids or mutts--but for a particular purpose--like for increased egg production--my Red Sex links made it easier to get pullets at hatch rather than cockerels...but I have heard them referred to as Cherry Eggers...

5. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Is a "Red Star" a sexlink? I've seen them for sale in the hatcheries but they never really say what they are....

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    There are quit a few hybrid sex link birds to choose from on the market. Red Star and Black star are two that are produced by a commercial breeder. The crosses that produce red females and silver males all cross a gold male, black tailed red, with a female that is silver and dominant white. This cross produces males that have silver down and females that have gold down. Back yard breeders can do the same cross.

I have developed a Rhode Island Silver and will cross the silver with a Rhode Island Red male to produce sex linked chicks. The females are Rhode Island Red (sex linked) and the males are heterozygous (split) for silver and gold so they have whitish down. A popular cross that anybody can do is a Delaware female and a Rhode Island Red male.

The best red sex linked cross uses birds that are wheaten or brown at the E locus and birds that are columbian restricted.

There is also a black sex linked cross- this cross usually involves a rhode island red male or production red crossed with a barred plymouth rock. This cross produces females that are non barred with black down and males that have black down with a cream or white spot on top of the head.

It is my understanding that cherry eggers are a production red bird and would breed true. They are most likely a cross between a new hampshire and a rhode island red. Genetically the production red, new hampshire and rhode island red are all classified as "black tailed red" and have similar genotypes.

Tim

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  7. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

8. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
  9. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    They are a mix but I have always seen them listed as their own species. We have 5 golden sex link hens and they are very good layers. We are getting 4-5 nice sized brown eggs a day. That's all the information I have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by