1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone tell me what breed this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fishdontbiteit, May 22, 2016.

1. fishdontbiteit

fishdontbiteit New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    I got an order of chicks from McMurray and I can't figure out what my free rare bird is. When they arrived the chicks all looked alike. But then this one started to produce a dark brown band on its wings. Thank You!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Chillin' With My Peeps

Its very pretty! I'm more better at the more common breeds but I'm sure that someone else would be happy to help!

3. fishdontbiteit

fishdontbiteit New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    It is a pretty chick, thank you. Here is an updated pic that is 2 days newer. Hope that helps all you geniuses out with that it might be and any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hmm, you may have to wait until it feathers put more. What type of comb does it have? Or is it to small to tell yet?

5. fishdontbiteit

fishdontbiteit New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    Its pretty small, chick is about 12 days old right now. I can post more photos weekly as it grows. It sure gets to me when I don't know what I got here.

6. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    England
    I'm not sure on what breed it is but at the moment it looks like a pullet but still too young to be sure

7. fishdontbiteit

fishdontbiteit New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    Here are some pictures that are a week later. We still have no idea what kind of bird we got.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Chillin' With My Peeps

Kind of reminds me of a Cuckoo Maren...

9. fishdontbiteit

fishdontbiteit New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    You could be onto something. It could be a Maran of some type. At this age wouldn't a Cuckoo Maran have white and black checker pattern by now? I found some photos of some Black Copper Marans that look very much like what this is. But if this is a Black Copper Maran then that would raise more questions then it answers because according to McMurray Hatchery they don't carry that breed. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by