1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone tell me what breed this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bobbi-j, Jul 10, 2016.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    This bird came with my Murray McMurray Heavy Breed assortment that I got this spring. I've got the other breeds figured out, but I can't find this one in any of their pictures. Any ideas? In the top picture, she's standing next to a Barred Rock pullet. I didn't edit that out just to show the difference in feather pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That's a Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock. I must say I'm rather surprised by how good of quality it
    is, for a hatchery fowl. Until recently these birds were only in the hands of breeders, but this is the second time I've seen them obtained by a hatchery. Congrats, the SPPR are a truly incredible variety and my favorite type of Rock. They are quite rare. You also lucked out, that's a little pullet - something MMH's free rare extras often are not.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh Happy Day - great news for you.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Wow - thanks for the information! She is my favorite out of this batch - I just really like the looks of her. She wasn't my free "exotic" chick. That was a NN cockerel. I have yet to get something useful out of their "free exotic" chick. She'll be with a Buff Rock rooster at breeding time - it will be fun to see what that cross looks like.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She'll produce non-typical red sexlinks with that boy. Only her boys will get the 'silver' base color. The pullets will be buff/golden. Varying amounts of patterning for both genders.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Good to know, thank you! Too bad the pullets won't get the silver color - I plan on eating the extra boys... This is my first foray into intentional breeding. Nothing formal, just playing around to see if I can get a little meatier birds from my own flock. I've been raising and processing long enough to know not to expect anything like a Cornish x, but a little meat is a good thing. It's only DH and me, so I don't need a small turkey or anything...

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Does that penciled bird have a straight comb or a rose comb? Gorgeous bird.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    She doesn't have much of a comb yet, and I can't get real close to her, but from what I can see it appears to be a straight comb. She's only about 3 1/2 months old.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What a happy surprise! I agree her penciling is quite nice for a hatchery bird.

Your sex links from the buff Orp rooster should be nice birds. She's already looking nicely meaty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by