Can someone tell me what breed this might be, please?

triala

Songster
6 Years
May 10, 2015
Hi Folks,

I have long been puzzling on this girl - we have had her three years, I was told when I bought her as a 10 week old she was a Welsummer cross. However, I have since got Welsummers and they do look majorly different - their top of head down the nect and shoulders area are golden feathered, not black into gold, and their body feathers do not have the detail of this girl's. Not sure how well it shows in the photo, but she also has shorter lregs than my Welsummers - and an incredibly fluffy soft backside! :) When she is in grass even a couple of inches high it looks like she is floating with no legs! She also has a foul temper at times, but hey - that's character.

Can any genius work out whether is a Welsummer cross, and what the other half is, please?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Brownie 2-6-2020.JPG
    Brownie 2-6-2020.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 12
Could be crossed with almost anything honestly. Seeing as how much of the color scheme is still there, my guess would be something similar like a RIR, Comet, etc. rather than say an EE or Aust.

Maybe Welsummer x Dorking?
Dorkings have short legs, and their color pattern is similar to your hen's (except that Dorkings have it in silver/gray shades instead of brown shades.)

If she was described as Welsummer cross, I'm guessing the person had a Welsummer rooster with a variety of hens, so that's how they knew the one parent but not the other.

Edit to add: does she have an extra toe on each foot? Dorkings do.

Last edited:
Definitely looks to have Orp in it. It could be a Crele Orp or Orp / Welsummer based off of the white legs and build

Thanks for your views! She is not actually that large - same size as the Welsummers maybe although fluffier, definitely smaller that the Black Rock female or Bresse Galloise female I have. Toes - just the normal four - three at front then supporting back one. Looks like there is an Orp of some sort in there, then. I have looked up some pictures of them and the mega fluffy bum matches well. Thanks for helping!

Back
Top Bottom