Can someone tell me what gender my 10 wk. old chicks are?

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I have 6 chicks that are supposed to be females. But, I'm starting to think a couple of them might be roosters :(

These two are both Rhode Island Reds. The one in the back grew faster than the other and is larger, but I don't know if that is a characteristic of males.

These two are California White Leghorns. Are their tail feathers supposed to be that long and straight??

My Easter Egger is my primary concern. It has a dark red, thick comb and what looks like a greenish tail feather. I read in a previous posting about EE's feather colors, but I'm not sure how my bird fits in. It has a mostly brown chest and a mix of black and brown in the neck. Any ideas?

I have a full grown female EE that has similar coloring, but her neck and head are all black. And the brown in her shoulders is lighter and not as red.

EE come in all colors, and looks like a nice pullet to me.
Your leghorns are my concern. Im sure you'll get some expert advice shortly.

Yeah, you are probably right. Too many shiney feathers. ...just doesnt look tall, lean, or erect enough?
This is my hen, her comb is similar...but she is 2-3 yrs.

Blast! I'm glad you think the others are pullets, though. The bigger RR concerns me a little because of the pointy-looking neck feathers. But I don't see any other male characteristics, so keeping my fingers crossed!

The farm I bought them from has a sexed guarantee, so I could replace the EE with a pullet at no charge. Although, I hate trying to intergrate older birds together.

Back
Top Bottom