Can someone tell me what the heck a Cuban Kikiriki and a Puertican Hennie Kikiriki is?

silverbeartx

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Texas
There are eggs posted on ebay rather expensive fo 7 eggs $59.99 plus shipping what the heck are these chickens, if you do a search the only thing that comes up is the ebay listing for these eggs. Someone please tell me!!!!!! They look like Old English Game Bantams and Seramas.

Last edited:
"kikiriki", Spanish for bantam they do have old english and other crossings.
They are very popular birds in Puerto Rico and Cuba. One could find them all over both places,why would one call them P.R or Cuban? I guess its a pride thing. reason why I say that is because we had Black tailed japanese and hamburg bantams and they also called them kikiriki's . The hennie part is throwing me for a loop,I called family on the island that deal with game birds all day and they dont even know. guessing! may be a bloodline.

i just ran through the clasificados in Puerto Rico and they sell a lot of these.. 10 dollars for 1 all the way to 60 for a pair. They look different from each other. some had rose comb, some single comb... But they were all small.

Kikiriki - in Spanish it is the sound a rooster makes in English Cockadoodledoo

It is used for bantam - but also rural populations will call any chicken the same thing. Never been to the islands but lived in Mexico and Several places in Central America

i breed kikirikis that what hispanics cal bantams in spanish. a cuban kikiriki is the cuban gamefowl bred down till they were small bantams so is the puerto rican gallo fino often called postiza gamefowl. our birds also throw hennies which i breed pure for the hennie tail . our bantams are usually smaller than most bantam breeds.hope this help . ricky torres aka prophet .st.croix,u.s.virgin islands.

this info is terribly wrong. kikiriki is the spanish word for bantams al over south america and puerto rico as well as all caribbean islands..

u are correct most breeders in puerto rico sell them for 10 bucks .they have every bantam breed u can mention .but,the ones the whole caribbean prefer are there postiza gamefowl bantams some are also called gallo fino these are like the american game bantam only smaller.i breed this type alot and like to breed pure hennies. alot like the seabright bantams except we got every color known -white blk mottled -red etc.etc. i breed mine on the island of st.croix u.s.virgin islands.

the puerto rican hennie is a gamefowl which are used in the legal cockpits in puerto rico and the u.s.virgin islands as well as the british .virgin islands and the whole caribbean they are called gallo fino or postiza gamefowl they are dangerous gamefowl in the pit and highly respected . these birds were bred down pure by the old timers during the spanish rule in puerto rico till they became small enuff to be called kikiriki /spanish name for bantams. hope this helps .my godfather bred these birds since 1956 till he died he had over 700 gamefowl and bantams /kikirikis. the late great mario de chabert. breeder of dobermans rottweilers german shepards and the american pit bull terrier. he was the first breeder to import game fowl to the virgin islands from all over the world..

Back
Top Bottom