Can someone tell me what they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oesdog, Jul 18, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi

I do hope these photos come out!!!!!!!!

There should be 6 girls ( My big grown up hens. )
    Left 2 Right
    Eleanor , Drumstick, Caroline, Gerty at the back( No other photos of her, thought she is a Maran? Grey/ large bird lays light brown eggs and is Head chick!) Isobella and Bertha. None of Elly she was same as Drumstick (RIR I think) She died also.

[​IMG]

This one is Caroline

[​IMG]

Sorry these are in a group - don;t have another of Eleanor as she died but would still like to know what she was?
    Left to Right - Dark rust brown Bertha, BIG red Eleanor, Small Red ( RIR?) Drum stick, Green Black Isobella, & Caroline

[​IMG]

This is Bertha she is the mummy at the moment to 4 chicks but they are not all her babies a mixture of hers and the other hens
    ( Not Eleanor) and Roo Sam who I think is
    a Leg Horn white with a stand up crown. Sorry no photo
    [​IMG]

The next is a photo of Isobella up close. She is a beautiful green/black ???? Not sure what she is?????
    [​IMG]
    This one is Drum stick she is tiny but great layer.
    [​IMG]

This is what I was told?

1)Caroline ( White / black hen ) is Ancona Hen
    2 &3)Isobella ( The Green) And Bertha (The Rust Red ) are Speckled Sussex Hens
    4)Drum Stick (The other smaller Red) is Red Link Hen Not RIR?
    5) Eleanor (The big Red ) New Hampshire Red Hen
    6) Gerty (The big Grey) I thought a Maran

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm terrible with guessing breeds. But they are all quite pretty!

I do know that some commonnames are different between UK and US chickens.

Nice run and pen you have there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks thats only a small bit of the Run you can see a better view in my other post about the babies as the run is in the back ground. They are real close to the house and the flew of the wood burner goes up the side of their run and they love that in the winter time! Only trouble with that run is the wild birds can get through the wire and they eat all the food!!!!!! My girls are to stupid to chase them off. Also Gerty is convinced that Mice are babies? She should be eating them but hides them in her feathers instead! So I had to trap them. She isn;t my friend now!

Glad you like the girls!

Oesdog

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    She's trying to brood the MICE???? Oh my. [​IMG]

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Yeah she was ! I never saw a chicken do that before! But when I turffed her off the nest a few times she always had baby mice under her and would peck at me to protect them. Felt bad I had to kill them because they were kind of cute but there got to be sooooo many! Then they discovered how to go up the sewer outlet up to the bathroom and near scared my daughter to death when she was in the toilet - I thought her waters had broke cause she screeched so bad! So Gerty lost her mice !!!!!!! But then she is grey and so were they? Also she sees Bertha with her chicks and is awful jealouse!

Oesdog

6. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi!
    I'm relatively new here, but have done a lot of browsing breed photos and what you have listed as what vyou were told seems to make sense to me!

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks - I want to get a replacement for Eleanor so good to know what she was? Also I wanted to know if Drumstick is a Rhode Island or not? As some think she is a Red link and I don;t know the difference? - I know she is a lighter colour than PRs and the free range farm she came from were supposed to only have RIRs?

Oesdog

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Red-ish ones are Production Reds and the other 3 are Hatchery type Speckled Sussex.

Chris

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Not sure you are right on that one as there is soooo much difference between the two reds I had. One was sooooo much bigger than the other and had black wing tips and black round her neck. She was a totally different shape to the other. Drumstick is quite small and boney. She has light feathering around her rear and doesn;t have any dark feathers at all. If you saw them in real life together they are ( or should I say were as Eleanor is no longer here - Totally different chickens in colour shape and size. I really don;t think they can be the same kind?

Oesdog - oh yeah - eggs were also different colour! Big girl Eleanor layed cream eggs sometimes really big ones and Drumstick quite dark brown speckled ones.

10. horselover98

horselover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    I do not know all of them but Bertha is a speckled sussex. she looks exactly like my SS, jenna!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by