Can someone tell me what this growth on my quail is. It wasn't there two weeks ago

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gartmand, Feb 8, 2015.

1. gartmand

gartmand Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    Can someone tell me what this growth on my quail is. It wasn't there two weeks ago. I notice it small but now it looks noticeable. She never had it when she hatched. She was hatched in November. How can I cure it? What is it? I clean their pins weekly. Will it go away? Will it get worse. How do I treat it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This is definitely some infection of some sort. I wouldn't pop this and cause more trouble. You might get this bird started on some antibiotics like Baytril or Penicillin.

3. gartmand

Dec 29, 2014
    would antibiotic gel help as well as an oral? Have you seen this before? Do you know what it's called or how to prevent it.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have seen similar but smaller things on my chickens right at that same spot. Usually from a peck from another bird.

You might try some topical stuff at first. Maybe even some cortizone cream that you get out of the pharmacy area to help reduce inflammation. I would try topical things first. Maybe alternate coritzone in the morning, and then neosporin in the evening. If after a week or so it has not gone down or has gotten worse, you might try some Baytril or Pencillin pills. (if you know how to give injections, that would be better.) The pills could be crushed and sprinkled on a small amount of hard boiled eggs or something like this. I can get you the dosages for injections or pills if you want to try this later.

5. gartmand

Dec 29, 2014
    She's housed with a male. They have been mating like crazy. I switched back to their chick start medicated feed. I put some vitamin drops in their water and some Neosporin on it this morning. I also just put some other antibacterial cream on it a few minutes ago. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it doesn't go down by then. In the mean time I'm placing an order on amazon for Baytril or Pencillin....well lets see what I can get online.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What species of quail is she? If the male is over breeding her, I would take him out occasionally for a time out. Over breeding can kill a female. I wouldn't feed medicated feed. That has amprolium in it and only stops coccidiosis. It doesn't medicate for anything else. This thing she has won't be effected by this medication in the feed. So you might go back to regular feed. No need to medicate her if she doesn't have cocci.

But keep putting on the ointments and if in a weeks time nothing is happening, you should probably start her on some antibiotics.

Keep us posted!! :)

7. gartmand

Dec 29, 2014
    she's a button quail. He mate is a tuxedo button quail. I'll change the food back. I feed then scrambled eggs every morning and evening. I even mix tofu in the eggs for extra calcium. I looked up penicillin from tractorsupply. They have one for cattle that says "A 48-hour penicillin suspension used in beef cattle against gram positive bacteria such as pasteurella pneumonia." Combi Pen-48, 100 mL, Bimeda, Antibacteria

Is there a brand for chickens that you recommend. I wonder of a normal cat dog vet will take a look at my quail and prescribe something for her. I can't seeme to find anthing for sell online.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/combi-pen-48-100-ml-bimeda-antibacteria

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This stuff will work fine. It is the basic Pen G you can get at most feed stores with another type of Penicillin included.You would need 22 gauge needles for this as it is thick.

However if you do have a vet you can take her too, all the better! Maybe they can recommend an avian vet.

My birds that have had this "thing" at the top of their beaks was never this large. I was putting on Blu-kote on it and they eventually healed. However my birds were of dark color and because your bird is white, this will only draw attention from her mate and he might pick at it.

Your birds bump is much larger than mine ever were but they did take a few weeks to heal.

If this was my bird, I would see if my vet could look at her. If I got no where with this, I would try topical meds first to see if this is superfical and maybe neosporin would take care of it. If that didn't do it after a week or two, I would try the Pen G.

9. gartmand

Dec 29, 2014
    I took her to an avian vet. I brought along her mate since he was going crazy without her. The bump hasn't grown much over the week. The vet said to keep an eye on it. He didn't want to do anything with it yet. He said if it grow a lot over the next few weeks then to bring her in. I came across this massage board and the bump this person shows looks to be the same.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/4086-cockatiel-beak-growth.html

I'm still curious as to what it is, but even the avian vet didn't know.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    One of my chickens had a growth at the same place on her beak last year. Not as big, but it started because another bird pecked her. It had a bit of blood on it, I dabbed it with blu-kote and a few days later this bulbuousy growth was there. It grew to about half the size of your birds growth. It took a couple months to completely disappear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by