Can someone tell me what to do with my roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by txchickie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I ordered 16 chicks from Ideal and they are now 9 weeks old. I have 4 white leghorns (2 males, 2 females) and I *had* 12 bantys, but am now down to just 8 (we figured out that our dog has a taste for poultry:(). The little stinker managed to eat 4 banty hens one night.

But here's my problem, I have 12 chickens total, but 8 are roosters:eek: I love them all and I don't really want to get rid of any of them, but is it really feisable to have such an unbalanced ratio of males to females?? I'd like to have some eggs this spring and would like my bantys to hatch some chicks for us. Do I need to thin out my roosters? :|

Please be gentle with me! This is my first experience owning and raising chickens:) Oh and who knew you could love little birds this much![​IMG]

2. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    You probably should

you could always get more hens,

or get a few more and create separate pens

I don't think it would be possible

I'd say replace by getting more hens

Ideal doesn't have a minimum just a minimum amount to spend

3. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I love your answer! Getting more hens sounds like a great idea [​IMG]

4. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    This is always tricky. You have a few options. Roos raised together don't usually fight, so you can just make a rooster pen and keep them together. You really don't want more than about 1 roo for every 8-10 hens. If roos aren't raised together they will fight and upset the hens. Some people say that if you have too many roos your hens stay upset and won't lay well. I don't know about that, but I have had too many roos. If you can keep them go ahead, but if not try to sell them or find some one to --gulp--eat them.

5. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave 2 of my roos to 4 H... I started out with 3 girls and 3 boys...too many boys!!!

6. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I thought roosters weren't any good for eating? I was told the meat would be too tough?

Man, my ignorance is glaringly obvious right now!

7. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Yes, you can eat roos. However, if they are older than about 16 weeks or so you have to slow cook them or can them. We eat young rooster just like we do pullet. I cull my extra roos and usually fry them if they are young or can them when they get older. I can't tell roo meat is any tougher than pullet at the same age.

8. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    I have 20 white leghorn hens and 2 roosters. They were all brought up together. One of our roosters,(we named him Dirty Harry) decided that he was King Roo. He was going after the other roo every chance he got. He now has his own private living quarters in the coop.

It's too bad, but I had no choice. I should find a new home for him.

So, it's not always true that if they are brought up together they will get along.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Make some delicious cockerel soup! [​IMG]

10. vickiemontana

vickiemontana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Montana
    Hey beekissed, you still around here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by