can someone tell me whats caused this eye problem. worms??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tomcatvmp, May 9, 2017.

1. tomcatvmp

tomcatvmp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    i noticed one of my oeg bantams had a swollen eye about a week ago . i seperated her immediatly thinking it was a peck injury bathed in a little water and she appears to be making a good recovery,however yesterday i noticed another oeg bantam looking very sorry for herself i picked her up and noticed she also had a swollen eye,i did exactly the same and this morning both eyes are clogged up. here are some pic. she is not very well at all i dont expect her to live;-(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any help about this would be apprieciated in case its something thats going to spread,

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Looks like it. Google eye worms in chickens

1 person likes this.
  3. tomcatvmp

tomcatvmp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    i kind of suspected this .will it spread through my flock ? ive seperated the two infected girls. the trouble is im in the uk so alot of the products mentioned in the forums are not available here or under a different name. i have some advocate from the vets suitable for small rabbits it kills most larvae worms fleas etc, anyone heard of it or know if it will work? should i be disinfecting the coop? any preventitive measures i can take with my other birds? and are eggs still ok to eat?

Last edited: May 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by