Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sledder91, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Sledder91

Sledder91 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    I have 1 Muscovy with chickens and he/she seems kinda depressed he/she just sits in a little eating box all day and I have to pick him up and take him to the food and water. He/she is pretty young only a couple months I think. Please help.

2. EyeToLensToPage

EyeToLensToPage Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Maybe he/she needs some duck friends, is he/she able to walk?

3. Sledder91

Sledder91 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    He/she can walk. I can get another Muscovy maybe I should do that

4. EyeToLensToPage

Jun 12, 2015
    certainly worth a try, they do not like to be alone and if it's not bonding with the chickens I'm sure he/she needs a friend. Good luck :)

5. Sledder91

Sledder91 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    Well today the Muscovy was and walking around and even came outside when I let the chickens out. I got another Muscovy as a friend for him and there all happy playing in a little bit of water and eating!

2 people like this.
  6. EyeToLensToPage

Jun 12, 2015
    Awww that's great news! Guess all he needed was a friend :)

7. Sledder91

Sledder91 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    Well I gave the ducks a bath in the house to give them some play time. I tried to dry them off but they kept moving around so I kinda dryed them off. Went to the coop and one was frozen to death. I feel so bad and am keeping a close eye on the other one. This is a big learning curve for me

8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    :hugs I'm sorry.

How cold is it outside? Do they have a draft fee coop? It not good for them to fluctuate temperate a lot, and also this is his first winter, so it's a big adjustment. Muscovy are from south America, so they don't have as much cold hardiness as a mallard type either.
    Hopefully now the one left will not depressed again. Are they with the chickens still? How are the chickens handling the cold?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Was it the depressed Duck that passed away?...........If so, I do not think it froze to death.....Birds and many animals can hide illness pretty well......Do not feel bad.....These things happen....

Sorry for your loss again......

1 person likes this.
  10. Sledder91

Sledder91 New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    It's not that crafty it's a insulated fishing shack with all holes covered up and a heater inside. He didn't seem his right self today either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by