can someone tell the sex of a few chicks for me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mom2Cool, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Hi, I'm too new to this and haven't a clue what I'm doing really and so please be kind if it's too early for this. I've 2 Barred Rocks & 2 black Australorps

They should be 3 weeks old now and I'll put a few pics here to see if anyone can tell who's who & what sex please? Thanks in advance for any help.

[​IMG]

of the 2 Astralorps one has more light coloring on it's face still and is how I'm able to tell them apart. that picture was the best I could get of the darker faced one.

[​IMG]

the Barred Rocks are near impossible to tell apart still or for me.

[​IMG]

the 2 of them together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again thanks for any help I appreciate it.

2. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Ok did I post this in the wrong place or is it just that they're too young for anyone to be able to tell what sex they are?

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Welcome and probably, lol, but I'm sure you will get some replies. You could ask a mod to move it to the What Gender/Breed section for even more.

I'm not an expert at all...proven by the number of posts I have in that section already, lol....but I would say all but one of them (the one in the second pic) have pretty big combs for just 3 weeks old. None of mine at that age (that turned out to be pullets) had much of a comb. Just my opinion and from my experience so far. I'm sure there are others on here who will chime in soon.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and [​IMG]
    I am pretty new to this, but I have black australorp mix chicks almost as old as yours, I think you have one of each on the australorps and I agree with the pp that the barred rocks have pretty decent size combs for 3 weeks, but my br haven't come in yet so I really don't know, but there are plenty of people that can help you here. Good luck
    Krista

5. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Hi & thanks kids I have no clue what I'm doing either I'm so new to this but I've had a feeling I'd laid my hands on 3 males (do they call them roos this young?) and one female. And yes it's those comb thingies on their heads? I always want to call that the bridge of their nose. LOL Anyway I'd sort of been thinking the same thing that they look kind of big to me though I don't know and there's nothing here to compair them to.

I also thought there was a special place to post this but I couldn't find it & thought I was just mistaken. And so can I just ask the moderator here to move it or do I need to do a PM contact to one of them? And once they move it where will I locate the What Gender/Breed section? I'm sure I've been looking right at it & just not seeing. Thanks all.

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Can't help with gender, but thought I would share - my Barred Rocks - their names are Salt or Pepper because I can't tell them apart. LOL

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I forgot to say you have beautiful chicks [​IMG]

I was new about 2 months ago to chicks and have learned so much from just reading and posting on this site. It's really great and everyone is so helpful. Trust me, lol it gets easier.

8. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Thanks kids & you know I have actually been hanging around here on and off for a while & since I'd gotten these chicks I'd been here several times and I'd started to see that term "their combs" & as I've been tending to them I've been thinking "hmmm I've a feeling you're all boysss" And the other day I was wracking my brain trying to come up with names and for some reason I was on a musical thing & keep wanting to call them "John, Paul, George, & Ringo" LOL & I just thought "No they CAN'T be all boys. Well no but they were close.....

And yes they are very pretty birds & their feathers have been growing in and really looking nice. I'd notice the Barred Rocks really look like they've got bars now & I'd just commented on this yesterday to hubby. I umm was also commenting on that "comb thing too."

Of course now the question is if I try to keep 1 which one and I don't think it's going to work because I've neighbors that are too close for that. It's pretty rural here and if not for noise no one would even know I have them but people are close enough that crowing might throw them into a frenzy you know?

Ok so now the next question what to do with them. LOL

9. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Well, first of all, definitely wait and see. it's too early to say if ANY of them are roos! I was sure my RIR was a roo, but now that she's 8 weeks old I'm pretty sure she's a pullet.

If they grow bigger and you're sure you have roos then craigslist is a great place to list them for rehoming. I've had really good luck giving away my extra roos. i rehomed 11 packing peanuts from a hatchery order and one roo I got that I had hoped was a pullet.

Beautiful chicks by the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by