can someone tell us what these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by valley ranch, Aug 18, 2010.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi we just got these chickens. Any idea the breed and sex?
    thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The first bird is a Buff Orpington rooster and the second is an Easter Egger hen.

3. valley ranch

if it helps the dark one already jumped through the wire at our Rhode Island rooster and bit his comb!!
    Poor fellow didn't like it at all. The golden one and the Rhode Island just chatted through the fence.

4. valley ranch

thanks!! Are all the easter eggers mean as heck? Or will she settle down and like our Rhodie?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Agree.

6. valley ranch

So can we keep a Rhode Island Red rooster and the Buff together or will the have it out and fight??

7. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I think they are both roos. looks like saddle feathers on the EE

8. valley ranch

what are saddle feathers and is there an area of the body that I can get a picture of that will enable easier sex id?

If she is a hen how long should it take her to begin laying. We just got it today.

It has been with the buff orpington for I don't know how long but it is a bit mean to him.

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Saddle feathers are feathers that are at the base of the tail. Getting a clearer picture of the saddle and tail feathers could help us too. Tail feathers in roosters are generally more "pointed" like sickles. Also, a picture of the comb could help us figure it out too.

I'm starting to doubt whether or not the EE is a hen too... that comb looks huge!

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That is a definite EE hen. I'm 100% sure. I don't care how aggressive it is, each has their own personality. Plus, I have yet to see an EE rooster with THAT color pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by