Can someone tell what's wrong with this chick?

sohail2021

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
It has this swollen rectum it was alright a few days back. Can someone please help explain the problem and cure for it

Attachments

• JPEG_20210214_132121_4723149988628157175.jpg
    JPEG_20210214_132121_4723149988628157175.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 17
How old is this chick?
What do you feed, including treats?
Please post some more photos of the whole chick and housing - Thanks!

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Hard to tell in photos, but would you agree that the abdomen below the vent seems to be swollen?

Looks like she may be constipated. I would make sure that she's drinking well. If you have poultry vitamins direct dose her. I would also give her 1/2-1 tsp coconut oil to see if that gets things moving.

Looks like she may be constipated.
Yes, and cleaning it under the warm water tab will help and bring some relief for the chick while holding it there for some 5 minutes with water gently flowing over the back and butt region. Towel dry and then blow dry carefully, so not to burn the little chick with too much heat. Often they will poop abundantly afterwards and the swelling will recede.
Feed it some pieces of chilled coconut oil to help flush out the rest.

This mostly happens when the brooder temperature is too high, so check again and provide some cooler space also, where the chicks can go if they get too warm.

Last edited:
@sohail2021 How is you little chick doing, were you able to loosen the constipation?
Yes a big thanks to every one she I cleaned the rear and made sure she drinks water and yes added some poultry vitamins in the water and voila after few hours she was happy and active again 😊😊 thanks for the support everyone

Back
Top Bottom