1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone verify my thinking?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Petej, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I have been calling some of my Birds Bantams (as I was told by the farm store when we got them) but I think they might actually be Barred Rocks, I have a few of these gals. All of them are gals, no Roos in this bunch...

[​IMG]

And a picture to put the bird in scale with the others:
    [​IMG]

Now the ones I do know:

Rhode Island Red Hen
    [​IMG]

Americauna Hen ( I do have an Amerciauna Rooster as well)
    [​IMG]

White Leghorn Rooster. ( I have Hens as well, in the background)
    [​IMG]

Barnyard Mix, I have two of these lovely Ladies. I know they're part Americauna, but the other half I can't figure out....
    [​IMG]

I appologize for the bad Cell-phone Pictures. The Digi-cam is still AWOL and the DV recorder is charging.....

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    not real sure what you are asking

but...

bantam is a size and barrd rock is a breed and they can come in bantam...

so..if your bird is the same size as your other birds it isn't a bantam...

if your bird is smaller then it might just be a barred rock bantam...

did I help?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, a bantam is a miniature version of a large breed, though some bantam breeds do not have large counterparts. There are large fowl Plymouth Rocks as well as bantam Plymouth Rocks, for example.

Yes, that is a Barred Rock. The white rooster is not a Leghorn, but a white Easter Egger--note the pea comb rather than a single comb like your Leghorn hens. Your hen that you called an "Americana" is an Easter Egger as well, not Ameraucana.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Agreed.

5. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:Agreed.

Sweet!

That actually clears quite a bit up!

I'm still learning and now that I have some time to study them, I am trying to learn all that I can. I'm not sure that my FIL knows what he had, other than what we were told. No offense to the farm store either, as they can only really operate on what they were told. [​IMG]

Hmm... Cool on the Americuana/EE's comments. I was taking good looks at the breed chart here on BYC and was noticing some discrepancies between my birds and the pictures. Yep, they would appear to be what you all said they were! EE's. Beautiful birds, beautiful eggs! My kids call them "Calico" Chickens. [​IMG]

I do have a true White Leghorn Rooster then. He is complete with the large floppy comb, he's a big boy too! Huge Bird!. Just no pictures of him! I'll get more tomorrow when I feed them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Just an Update:

According to my DW, she informed me that the EE's are truly EE's. One was hatched from Eggs that were purchased, the other came from the farm store, which she did say that it was an EE, not Americauna. In fact she has an EE Rooster right now that I have my eye on. Gawd, this chicken thing is addicting!! [​IMG]

The RIR's were purchased from the farm store, along with the Barred Rock Hens. When I was talking with the farm store owner, She kept saying what I though was "Banties", meaning Bantams. When in fact she was actually saying "Bandies" in reference to the Bars of white feathers.

The white EE was hatched from an egg here, not purchased like I thought..... The leghorns were all received from Freecycle.org a few months ago.....

The other two black chickens are from Eggs from my FIL's hatch a few months ago. The plus side is, they started laying a month ago!! [​IMG]

Now, why would she withhold such vital info??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by