can someone who knows about BLUE tell me about these 2 birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by haTHOR, Nov 10, 2010.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    first, are these birds considered blue? they were silver, just slightly lighter/darker shades from each other, from day one.

when i adjust the auto contrast on the lighter bird she almost appears to be a splash. do you think that is correct?

[​IMG]

does the dark charcoal hackles and what almost looks like lacing on the one hen make it a different kind of blue, if they are both blue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can i use the BBS % chart to know what i will get when i breed them to black? what about if they are bred to a wheaten? or does none of that work since they are EEs?

thank you! i love my EE girls and am not really sure what to refer to their color as, when folks ask. silver does not seem to be a real color name, though it is the closest to what they are in real life.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are both blue, the one with the darker hackles is closer to what the color should be though.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Both are blues.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Both look blue to me.

5. Ohne-Fehler

Ohne-Fehler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Oregon
    They look blue to me as well. Maybe not ideal blue but still blue. I don’t know about EE’s but I will venture to guess that they are Andalusian Blues and the BBS % should work with them as well. So mated to a black would produce 50% Black and 50% Blue. Wheaten I have no idea about. Like I said I don’t know EE’s and its not a color I have ever worked with or read up on. Hopefully an EE breeder posts because i would like to know!

6. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    As some who has bred blue for a number of years I will say that the first bird is a splash. Sometimes Splashes come with a blueish hue to them but the mottled type feathers and the fact that she has no lacing makes me believe she is splash.
    The second bird is more of a blue with the darker top color and the lacing on her feathers. Breeding either birds to a black from blues will help their color. If you breed them to a true black the blues will become uneven in the shade of blue.

7. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    thank you ! this is very interesting. i am not sure what andalusian blues refer to, but i am interested in learning more.

to the best of my knowledge these birds came out of a white EE rooster and black ameracauna hens.

i am interested in breeding them. you know those birds in your yard that EVERYONE wants to comment on and says they would buy chicks from? that's these birds.

i have black roos...one is FCBM, one is black java. i have been working on an olive egger thing, and at least one of these lays a pretty blue egg, so i am guessing to go with the FCBMs. i guess i will get some coppering in the hackles of course.

neat to know that a black from blues would be better though, to maintain that pretty blue color.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:First, I HIGHLY doubt that the first bird is a splash, unless that photo has really brought out some color in the shadows of the bird. . . Yes, it looks it with those darker feathers, but a lot of blue birds have that. I know, normally it shows up as splashes and flicks of color within the feather, not a whole feather, but sometimes it shows up as a whole feather too. Especially from Splash x Black or Splash x Blue, you can get some very light blue birds, too.

Second, Either A) the EE rooster is actually a splash, not white or B) he's not the father. White and Black don't make blue. Blue is something you can only obtain from Splash x Blue, Blue x Blue, or Blue x Black. [​IMG]

9. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    Quote:First, I HIGHLY doubt that the first bird is a splash, unless that photo has really brought out some color in the shadows of the bird. . . Yes, it looks it with those darker feathers, but a lot of blue birds have that. I know, normally it shows up as splashes and flicks of color within the feather, not a whole feather, but sometimes it shows up as a whole feather too. Especially from Splash x Black or Splash x Blue, you can get some very light blue birds, too.

Second, Either A) the EE rooster is actually a splash, not white or B) he's not the father. White and Black don't make blue. Blue is something you can only obtain from Splash x Blue, Blue x Blue, or Blue x Black. [​IMG]

ee daddy could be a splash...B/B/S is all new to me, and i saw a picture and assumed it was plain old white. it's not my bird...i traded for these eggs. [​IMG] the two roos were wheaten (nonstandard) ameracauna and what i assumed was white EE...can the splash be pretty well hidden with white?

thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by