1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can spent grains be fed as a primary diet for layer hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bauerdog, Nov 11, 2015.

1. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    I have a friend who just started in the bourbon business. She is willing to give us all the spent grains I want. Anyone here feed primarily spent rye and corn?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Nope, sorry i don't. Personally i would also give a proprietary feed in order to ensure that they get all the vitamins / minerals and also provide some oyster shell in a separate feeder - layers need more calcium than non-laying chickens.

CT

3. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    I was planning on still providing layer feed and oyster shell. Just wondering if I need to restrict how much grains they get per day

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would not imagine it would make too much difference. Do bear in mind however that layers feed provides all the necessary vitamins / nutrients necessary, so anything else you give them should (I seem to recall reading on BYC before) account for more than 10% of their diet.

I think the bottom line is if they prefer the grains to layers feed, then only give as a treat or less than around 10% of their total feed per day.

CT

5. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Ok thanks. That makes sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by