Can splay-leg be corrected in adults?

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
I’m sorry to say I was too inexperienced to notice my Marans rooster’s splayed legs when he was a chick (April 2019). He gets around just fine, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to straighten his legs now. Any suggestions?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Can you post some pictures of him standing from the front and the back? Splay legs have to be treated in the first week of life. I am not sure that if you could bring the legs a small amount closer every 2-3 days, over a couple of weeks, if that might help or not. He might have something else going on, such as a leg bone deformity. Is he getting around well enough to get food and water and to remain with his flock all day? Can he get up to a roost at night?

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Oh yes, he gets around just fine. Walks fine, roosts fine, no real problems. Has even attempted mating a few times, though my Jersey Giant roo usually chases him off. I will get some pictures ASAP. Splay leg seems to be fairly common in chicks from what I read on these forums. Any idea if it is a genetic issue or a birth injury? I really don’t know that much about it.

Top Bottom